are there any single machine traffic shaping solutions for win2k?

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
looking for a way to give priority by port#/IP/Packet. idealy i would like to do something like 1. ACK packets 2. ports used for games 3. internet radio stream 4. downloads and everything else

gaidin123

May 5, 2000
Nope. The best that I know of for a standalone windows machine is Netlimiter. It just does bandwidth caps, no QoS from what I could tell when I tried it.

Gaidin

masul0100

Jun 19, 2001
Will netLimiter control only outbound internet traffic or does it limit all traffic on that machine. Or is it for a firewall box to limit the traffic by IP. Any more info would help, just want to know before I try it out.

Thanks
Masul

gaidin123

May 5, 2000
They have a free trial that you can download. It just lets you put limits on incoming/outgoing data for the whole machine, certain programs, and/or each network connection that a program makes (you can limit certain IE downloads but not others, etc.). Last I checked, it had nothing to do with firewalling or managing multiple computers. It is only for standalone machines.

For networks I'd use Linux and the iproute2 tools though the *BSDs can do the equivalent I believe.

Gaidin

masul0100

Jun 19, 2001
I agree linux would be the best solution.... if I wasn't a linux retard. I have tried a couple of different linux solutions (as I am running a linux router now) but have been unsuccesssful at trafic shaping. I didn't know if there were any tools for windows that would do this. I don't even thing that ISA will do quite what I want.

Masul