Are there any RPGs similar to Baldur's Gate or Planescape with updated graphics?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Skyrim is cool, but sometimes I miss those old school RPGs. I'd love to see an updated version of those kind of games again.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Neverwinter Nights 1 - 2, Star Wars KOTOR 1 - 2, Fallout New Vegas (by Obsidian, ex-Black Isle members), Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (Troika, the other Black Isle people)

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
DAO (*not* DA2). NWN1 mods (not OC) and NWN2. KOTOR and, uh, TOR.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If the OP is asking what I think he's asking, the answer is no.
However, if he's willing to put up with inferior graphics, the Geneforge series is nice, and dirt cheap on Steam right now.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
NWN2 has modern enough graphics and MOTB has a plot that rival's PST's as best of all time, IMO.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
how about playing those games with EasyTutu and the Widescreen mods?

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I would suggest Wizardry 8, if you can find it.

It's a first-person game, but ithat doesn't detract the party-based nature of it. I really enjoyed the combat; you have to place and move your characters during battles to defend them (or give them better attacks).

And it has an intriguing strory and setting iirc.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007

It's a first-person game, but ithat doesn't detract the party-based nature of it. I really enjoyed the combat; you have to place and move your characters during battles to defend them (or give them better attacks).

Yep, its pretty good. The last good DW Bradley game, IMO. One of its predecessors, Bane of the Cosmic Forge, is my all time favorite game.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

I think its on GoG right now, but I could be wrong. I know all the Might and Magic games are, plus all the Heroes of Might and Magic games through IV.

Edit - But if you're looking for a deep, party based RPG, its almost a dead genre now. There was so hope for the Dragon Age franchise, but after DA2's disgrace and EA's takeover of Bioware, it probably devolve into an action game with stats.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Avadon The Black Fortress if you want to kick it old school with a modern title that plays like the old Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale games. The story, quests, writing, gameplay are all spot-on. It's weak in the audio department, though.

There's a demo and I believe it's on steam.

boozie

Oct 12, 2006
DAO is definitely not like those 2...
BG was actually a good game unlike DAO.

DAO is definitely like them. There are differences, sure but they are still similar. Real time Party RPG with pause. Also you are in the minority by a long shot claiming that DAO wasn't a good game (not talking about DAO 2 at all).

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
DAO not a good game unlike BG

LOL

You're right, DAO is great. Much better than BG, AINEC

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Avadon The Black Fortress if you want to kick it old school with a modern title that plays like the old Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale games. The story, quests, writing, gameplay are all spot-on. It's weak in the audio department, though.

There's a demo and I believe it's on steam.

And affordable on Steam, $9.99 I think where those games were $30 historically.