Are there any RPG games like Baldur?s Gate on the market?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Scrimmy
Originally posted by: 9mak9
Yeah BG2 was one of a kind...from gamespots review "It's a definitive role-playing experience, and the only reason it can't be called the best game in its class is because in a sense there's nothing available that compares to it." and that is still true today.

longest game ive ever played...but torment was def 2nd and not to far from BG2 and then 3rd place (i.e. ToEE, NWN, Icewind, etc.) is far away from those 2. I think Torment's emotional connection with the characters is def in its own class and i think both had equally great storylines but BG2 has better gameplay and such...

If you want to try out another rpg start looking into online RPGs. most have free trials and even though they are different then BG2 they are still a very cool experience (i say try guild wars which is no monthly fee)

Yeah, I agree completely. The late 90's really were a renaissance for RPGs. There really hasn't been anything even close to that couple of years when BG1 and BG2, Fallout and Fallout 2, and Planescape: Torment all came out, and BG2 was the gem of the bunch. The world design was great, but the characters and voice acting were really what made it so great. You had Irenicus for the bad guy (David Warner is a fantastic villain and also the main villain in Fallout 1) on one hand and Minsc for comic relief on the other, with lots of other genuinely interesting characters that actually grew and changed along the way.

Dammit, I think I'm going to have to go back and play them now, and I have no idea where the CDs are.

lol, thats why i signed up at gametap, I just got done beating xcom and am playing disciples 2 and they have bg1/2 but they do need fallout i must say.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
also has anyone heard more rumors on bg3? i saw some forum posts and an article about BG3 and NWN2 in the works which was 50% true...i wonder if atari is working on BG3 like blizzard is working on diablo3
"BG3" was a campaign that had nothing to do with BG1 or BG2, which Black Isle was calling "BG3: The Black Hound" because they had the rights to make D&D games named "Baldur's Gate" but not other D&D games.

The lead designer for that project (code-named "Jefferson") was Josh Sawyer, who joined a bunch of other former Black Isle people at Obsidian when Interplay (Black Isle's parent) went under. Sawyer eventually became lead designer on NWN2. He's now working the campaign up on his own time as a large mod for NWN2, called just "The Black Hound" (since there's now no reason to keep the BG3 designation on). It has nothing to do with the Bhaalspawn saga or the ward of Gorion, but what I've read about it seems very interesting nonetheless. Too bad jandrews will never get to play it. :laugh:

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: s44
also has anyone heard more rumors on bg3? i saw some forum posts and an article about BG3 and NWN2 in the works which was 50% true...i wonder if atari is working on BG3 like blizzard is working on diablo3
"BG3" was a campaign that had nothing to do with BG1 or BG2, which Black Isle was calling "BG3: The Black Hound" because they had the rights to make D&D games named "Baldur's Gate" but not other D&D games.

The lead designer for that project (code-named "Jefferson") was Josh Sawyer, who joined a bunch of other former Black Isle people at Obsidian when Interplay (Black Isle's parent) went under. Sawyer eventually became lead designer on NWN2. He's now working the campaign up on his own time as a large mod for NWN2, called just "The Black Hound" (since there's now no reason to keep the BG3 designation on). It has nothing to do with the Bhaalspawn saga or the ward of Gorion, but what I've read about it seems very interesting nonetheless. Too bad jandrews will never get to play it. :laugh:

how come i am left out!

9mak9

Dec 3, 2007
yeah it suck that Throne of Bhaal was the end...

irenicus was one of the best bad guys in a game i have ever played...i remember his voice as a bad guy in the batman animated series...

really wish i never passed up on the fallout series :( i have read about before the 3rd one comes out (whenever it does) cause im def buying it

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: jandrews
Torment, of course. NWN2 and expansion. BG1 with the BG1NPC mod. IWD2 with the IWD2NPC mod.

a lot of people including me dont like mods, I dont want to play some made up storyline by some random guy or group of people.

You're a dope. The official devs are just another "group of people" who happen to work at the same place where the tools and resources are produced. In fact, a bunch of people get hired from the mod community. Is their work after they join Bio or Obsidian magically better or different than their unofficial work? Absolutely not. Not only that, some of the official devs do modding as well (there are NWN2 mods in progress by David Gaider and Josh Sawyer -- lead designers of Dragon Age and NWN2 respectively). Is this unofficial work magically crappier than their official stuff? Absolutely not.

The best NWN1 campaigns -- including the 3 official ones -- are those by Kevin Chan and Valine. They're among the best RPGs out there, period.
I dont like what you like so I am stupid. Yep, I'm the dumb one, just get over someone having a different opinion than you. Its like reading a novel and reading fan fiction. I like to follow official storylines, not just some made up side story that will never be recognized by the official creators and owners, no thanks. Also, dont add 'period' to your statements. Just because you believe something is the end all be all surely doesnt make it so, your mother may have told you that you were very important and special but your opinion is just as meaningless as everyone else'

the personal attack crap needs to be kept out of the threads. i may completely disagree with someone and think they are stupid but i will never post it.

Actually, i also disagree with you ... respectfully. *Most* mods are crap compared with the game ... but sometimes there is a special one that is acknowledged by game fans as just as good - or even better - than the original. Just as some "fan fiction" rises to the top and and they become "official writers" and ARE recognized by the creators and owners ... so too with games and mods with many a talented modder entering the industry this way.

If you ignore all mods, you are only missing out for yourself on some great work. :p

As to our opinions being "meaningless" .. they are not
... this IS a forum.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Baldurs Gate 2 and Planescape Torment are my top two RPG's ever. BG2 for the gameplay, PS:T for the characters and plot. The only game recently released that comes close is the NWN2 expansion which is excellent.

nikkai

Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Borealis7
I think it is widely acceptable that BGII is the best RPG of all time (in fact, 1999 was the best year for computer games ever with so many games becoming instant classics).

the only glimmer of hope for RPG fans is to wait for Dragon Age which is in development for over 4 years now and should be out maybe in early 2009 (unless EA cancels it first), Bathesda's Fallout 3 should be exciting, and runaway hits like The Witcher that might show up.

Also i enjoy playing Turn Based Strategy with RPG elements (like Heroes of Might and Magic series, Age of Wonders 2, the recently released Fantasy Wars which was good)

pure RPGs are really a niche these days with FPSs and MMOs dominating the market and subsequently have most developing effort put into them. I think a futuristic First Person RPG with fast paced action, nice guns and storyline would appeal to most gamers, but it would really have to be done correctly, or not done at all.

now excuse me while i go cast Abi-Dnizim's Horrid Wilting on all of you :evil:

Fallout?

Ultima 5-7(+decimal points)?

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: apoppin
Torment, of course. NWN2 and expansion. BG1 with the BG1NPC mod. IWD2 with the IWD2NPC mod.

a lot of people including me dont like mods, I dont want to play some made up storyline by some random guy or group of people.

You're a dope. The official devs are just another "group of people" who happen to work at the same place where the tools and resources are produced. In fact, a bunch of people get hired from the mod community. Is their work after they join Bio or Obsidian magically better or different than their unofficial work? Absolutely not. Not only that, some of the official devs do modding as well (there are NWN2 mods in progress by David Gaider and Josh Sawyer -- lead designers of Dragon Age and NWN2 respectively). Is this unofficial work magically crappier than their official stuff? Absolutely not.

The best NWN1 campaigns -- including the 3 official ones -- are those by Kevin Chan and Valine. They're among the best RPGs out there, period.
I dont like what you like so I am stupid. Yep, I'm the dumb one, just get over someone having a different opinion than you. Its like reading a novel and reading fan fiction. I like to follow official storylines, not just some made up side story that will never be recognized by the official creators and owners, no thanks. Also, dont add 'period' to your statements. Just because you believe something is the end all be all surely doesnt make it so, your mother may have told you that you were very important and special but your opinion is just as meaningless as everyone else'

the personal attack crap needs to be kept out of the threads. i may completely disagree with someone and think they are stupid but i will never post it.

Actually, i also disagree with you ... respectfully. *Most* mods are crap compared with the game ... but sometimes there is a special one that is acknowledged by game fans as just as good - or even better - than the original. Just as some "fan fiction" rises to the top and and they become "official writers" and ARE recognized by the creators and owners ... so too with games and mods with many a talented modder entering the industry this way.

If you ignore all mods, you are only missing out for yourself on some great work. :p

... this IS a forum.
Oh no, I dont think all mods are horrible especially if a game is more about something else besides storyline. Also a good amount of mods follow the official storyline or just add subquests which I do enjoy quite a bit. I just dont want to play a whole 40 hour neverwinter night game that is just some user created add on.

maxster

Banned
Sep 19, 2007

... this IS a forum.
Oh no, I dont think all mods are horrible especially if a game is more about something else besides storyline. Also a good amount of mods follow the official storyline or just add subquests which I do enjoy quite a bit. I just dont want to play a whole 40 hour neverwinter night game that is just some user created add on.

If a mod plays better than the official version, then the mod is a better game. That's how it works.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
How about Betrayal at Krondor? Hehe man I loved that game. M&M was pretty good series too. As for newer games I would say KOTOR 1 and 2 are good ones.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: maxster

... this IS a forum.

If a mod plays better than the official version, then the mod is a better game. That's how it works.
Thats your opinion, to me, storyline is important and goes a way in making a game good or bad. Heck, most reviews include storyline as one of their key indicators as to how good a game is. I prefer official storylines, thats how it is what can I say. I think you guys need to stop trying to make me like the things you like and just accept the fact that not everyone is the same.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: maxster

... this IS a forum.

Thats your opinion, to me, storyline is important and goes a way in making a game good or bad. Heck, most reviews include storyline as one of their key indicators as to how good a game is. I prefer official storylines, thats how it is what can I say. I think you guys need to stop trying to make me like the things you like and just accept the fact that not everyone is the same.

I tihnk he was saying that the official storyline in NWN wasn't very good, but many of the user mods had very indepth and engrosing story lines. The Shadowlords story was very good for example. Also the expansions were both MUCH better than the original game when it comes to storyline. What the original game was good for, is that it made an easy to use D&D campaign maker. It is very easy to make your own game, and that is fun in it's own right. I don't know how accurate it is to the real D&D, because I have never played it, but the game mechanics are very good. NWN2 isn't quite as good in my oppinion, but the official storyline is much better!

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Yeah, I am not sure why anyone likes nwn, I tried playing it and wow I hated it. I think things should have stayed 2d until the technology was around to make seamless looking 3d characters. I dont want to play as some guy that looks like he is a bunch of different shaped boxes put together.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah, I am not sure why anyone likes nwn, I tried playing it and wow I hated it. I think things should have stayed 2d until the technology was around to make seamless looking 3d characters. I dont want to play as some guy that looks like he is a bunch of different shaped boxes put together.
Well, I suppose thats a good point too but most of us who didnt like it were unhappy because of the gameplay, not the graphics.
Though I always say: "If they had focused less on visuals and more on content, it might have been a better game."

That holds true for almost all RTS's and TBS's, sports games, RPG's, and even shooters.

I think that for Neverwinter Nights, sticking with a 2D format and spending more time on the game itself would have led to a better game.
BUT......
Probably worse sales, and that was right around the time pretty much ALL game companies decided they would rather be rich than make quality products.

Gaming has not been the same since.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Yeah, I am not sure why anyone likes nwn, I tried playing it and wow I hated it.

I do not think many people liked the OC of NWN. It sucked badly by Bioware standards. It (to many) exists solely to get community made single player and multiplayer games (pseudo MMORPGs called persistent worlds).

Games like the Tales of Arterra Series (~40 hour long epic roleplaying game that is better than probably 90% of commercial roleplaying games that I have played) make putting up with the graphics worth it.

I am starting to think that the only way a series (made using NWN or NWN2) that has a chance of having any kind of continuation with the "series" that bears its name is if it is made by the community. I think Bioware's strategy (starting with NWN1) is to help sell the game to people who are newcomers to the series, so they make a new game (and expansion packs) almost totally unconnected to each other. Since the community is not driven by the need to sell, they can create continuations of their series that are actually interconnected.

I am not trying to shove my beliefs about mods down anyones throat, I am just sharing my own thoughts.

Ultra minor NWN series spoilers below:

One thing that I dislike about the NWN series as a whole is that the characters / story do not truly continue and flow with each game / expansion pack. The NWN1 expansion packs had almost nothing to do with the OC (although that is a good thing).

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Yeah, I am not sure why anyone likes nwn, I tried playing it and wow I hated it.

I do not think many people liked the OC of NWN. It sucked badly by Bioware standards. It (to many) exists solely to get community made single player and multiplayer games (pseudo MMORPGs called persistent worlds).

Games like the Tales of Arterra Series (~40 hour long epic roleplaying game that is better than probably 90% of commercial roleplaying games that I have played) make putting up with the graphics worth it.

I am starting to think that the only way a series (made using NWN or NWN2) that has a chance of having any kind of continuation with the "series" that bears its name is if it is made by the community. I think Bioware's / Obsidian's strategy (starting with NWN1) is to help sell the game to people who are newcomers to the series, so they make a new game (and expansion packs) almost totally unconnected to each other. Since the community is not driven by the need to sell, they can create continuations of their series that are actually interconnected.

I am not trying to shove my beliefs about mods down anyones throat, I am just sharing my own thoughts.

Ultra minor NWN series spoilers below:

One thing that I dislike about the NWN series as a whole is that the characters / story do not truly continue and flow with each game / expansion pack. The NWN1 expansion packs had almost nothing to do with the OC (although that is a good thing) and NWN2 has almost nothing to do with NWN1 or the expansion packs other than the geographical region of parts of NWN1's OC. From what I hear about MotB (I am replaying the NWN2 OC right now before I start, so I have tried not to read much about it out of fear of spoilers), it has little to do with NWN2's OC (as far are your party and geographical region goes). :(

You play the same character and continue the same plot in MoTB...how is that little to do with the OC?

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
has little to do with NWN2's OC (as far as your party and geographical region goes). :(

You play the same character and continue the same plot in MoTB...how is that little to do with the OC?

I was referring to how they killed your party off, severed you from your keep, and thus the character development that built up during the OC surrounding your party was eliminated. The typo in it (my statement) did not help and I have eliminated my entire statement to avoid confusion and that it was not as extreme as going from NWN1's OC to the first expansion pack.

Oct 30, 2004

It's too bad that we can't get a bona fide Baldur's Gate 3. I wonder if the Black Hound project (BG3) is still alive somewhere or at least in hibernation.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
What BG2 and many of the older RPG's had that has seemed to be forgotten by later programmers is a link to the old paper RPG's in style, teamwork/party and story. You need to start off with a good story. Sure open ended game play adds to the reality of play but underlying needs to be a story. Some epic quest that you may stray from but ultimately must return to. When you played on paper you were usually only in control of one or two characters but with the others you would need a well rounded group. MMO's have the parties but lack the story. And most single player rpg's have you off by yourself or with one or two other partially controllable characters. No one in their right mind would try to go it alone if he could get help, and no one character could have enough skills to do it all. What we need is a game with the ability to create 6 to 8 characters, a strong story line, some openness to questing and travel. I would prefer another fallout or futuristic game, or something like the first vampire, rpg.

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
Originally posted by: mattpegher
What BG2 and many of the older RPG's had that has seemed to be forgotten by later programmers is a link to the old paper RPG's in style, teamwork/party and story. You need to start off with a good story. Sure open ended game play adds to the reality of play but underlying needs to be a story. Some epic quest that you may stray from but ultimately must return to. When you played on paper you were usually only in control of one or two characters but with the others you would need a well rounded group. MMO's have the parties but lack the story. And most single player rpg's have you off by yourself or with one or two other partially controllable characters. No one in their right mind would try to go it alone if he could get help, and no one character could have enough skills to do it all. What we need is a game with the ability to create 6 to 8 characters, a strong story line, some openness to questing and travel. I would prefer another fallout or futuristic game, or something like the first vampire, rpg.

Exactly, and BG2 had massive replayability with the different configuration of characters, and alignments etc.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
Just something that I thought of with another thread.

There was an old paper RPG based on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the early 80s. Where you got to choose an animal then depending on animal size and intelligence you got to mutate it(the larger or smarter the less effect), with some of the effects enhancing animal traits and some humanizing traits. Then once you were done the rpg was similiar to D&D but closer to GURPS. Played in a world where the vast majority of citizens were simple humans and you needed to blend in or hide.

I think this would make an awesome PC RPG, you just need to keep it from being too cartoonish or childish.

nikkai

Jan 28, 2002

Your description has Ultima (Pre 8) written all over it =)

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
Originally posted by: nikkai

Your description has Ultima (Pre 8) written all over it =)

Great series but the moral delemmas were a bit annoying.