Are there any replacements for Napster????

hpkeeper

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Napster I know is a distributer of MP3's and I know of two others

Hotline and Scour exchange

are there any others? Napster is getting progressively slower...

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
Scour is the only thing that really comes close and even that sucks. If napster ever goes down I'm gonna have to resort to getting stuff of other people's FTPs or actually buy the CDs! (no!!!)

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
There is Audio Galaxy, CuteMX, newsgroups, ftp, freinds as well as other sources.

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
imesh.com
i like scour better then napster, people actualy 'let' u download instead of disconectin u

stonerdave

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2000
I like using scour even though it's pretty buggy, but I fear they will end up on fvckedcompany.com b/c they were bought out...

I'd give hotline a look. It's kind of a pain sometimes to d/l, but many people that run servers on there have full albums, sometimes in a specific genre which is really cool (i.e. rap, jazz, techno). Go to hotlinesw.com to download their client program.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Doh... You could always go out and pay for a copy of the music so that your favorite artist gets paid a little something for entertaining you. :p

prodigy

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
From fairtunes.com:

<< Support Artists supporting us
Toby Slater
The Noisies **
Thirty Nine Days
Z.i.A. **
The All Purpose **
Suzanne Thomas
Yvonne Perea
Abercrombie
Doug Lamb
Owain Phyfe
>>

Is it just me, or has anybody ever heard of these artists?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
You mean I'm the only one that's been buying CD's all this time?

Damn, anybody want to buy ~110 CDs?

Viper GTS

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
robp -- <<or save yourself money and download the music, and send money DIRECTLY to the artist>>

OK. Now, who pays the bill to the recording facility, or the producer, or the people who make sure the CD's get shipped to the stores, or the printers who make the lables, or those who pound the pavement (literal or otherwise) promoting these products?

Get real! Music is a product, like everything else, and there are costs beyond the naked plastic of the CD and the case. Welcome to friendly Planet Earth.

robp

Oct 9, 1999
Prodigy69, nope, but does that mean anything? no.

THey still send money people send to bands. It seems like a fairly new service, but it is a really good idea.

prodigy

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
oh robp, my mistake. I thought that those were the only artists that you can send money to.