Are there any other games out there similar to Deus Ex?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I just recently played Deus Ex again and forgot how much fun it was, now I'm looking for another game along those lines. Any suggestions?

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
I'm sure this is nothign new, but Bioshock from what I have seen seems a lot like deus Ex. There are RPG elements to it (no experience or anything, but item gathering, etc) and it is extremely sci-fi/horror -ish. After playing the demo twice so far I can safely say it is FREAKING awesome. (Note, this applies to the 360 currently but will be out for PC soon also)

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Vampire: The Masquerade ? Bloodlines is the only FPS / RPG hybrid that I have found that is better than Deus Ex, IMO.

It uses the half-life 2 (source) engine and is available on steam, but do use the latest official and community patches... it is rather buggy and missing a sizable amount of content because Activision downsized half the company about 6-months before release and forced it to ship before it was complete and fully tested.

It is modern day, not science fiction though. If you are familiar with the fallout 1 and 2 games, it is the same inner circle developing Vampire: Bloodlines (they founded Troika after Black Isle Studios got liquidated)

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Vampire: The Masquerade ? Bloodlines is the only FPS / RPG hybrid that I have found that is better than Deus Ex, IMO.

It uses the half-life 2 (source) engine and is available on steam, but do use the latest official and community patches... it is rather buggy and missing a sizable amount of content because Activision downsized half the company about 6-months before release and forced it to ship before it was complete and fully tested.

It is modern day, not science fiction though. If you are familiar with the fallout 1 and 2 games, it is the same inner circle developing Vampire: Bloodlines (they founded Troika after Black Isle Studios got liquidated)

I have to agree as I am a big VTMB fan. There are two patches though one is called "The true unofficial VTMB patch" which is based around bug fixing only and the other is known as the "Unofficial VTMB" patch which does change certain things in game and moves stuff along with putting in bug fixes. I've only tried out the later of the two patches as that was the first one I encountered. The changes aren't too drastic but online walkthroughs/guides might not be as help when looking for certain items in game when using this patch. The overall story stays the same it's just that the author of this version of the patch has moved things around and changed certian skills to be more in line with the RPG table top game. I hope Bioshock has something of the sort of RPG character progression type system and involving/engrossing story line as VMTB does because I need something new to play. :)

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I just played VTMB last month, using the 1.2 official patch plus the 4.03AT "fixes only" patch and it was a lot of fun. It's set in the modern world, with guns and computers mixed in with the supernatural. See the VTMB thread mentioned over at Ars.

Star Wars KOTOR 1-2 are also SF and fun-packed, though combat is D&D stat-based rather than based on your own skill.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
System Shock 2 is basically Deus Ex with everyone dead and much more to customize. If you can get over the lack of RPG elements in the conversation department (and the sometimes annoying levels) you should love it.