Are there any other games like battlefield?

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Games that have
1. Vehicles and aircraft, in addition to FPS
2. Decent # of players playing online

I love BF and HATE CoD, I have BF3 and BF4, I play BF4 every now and then but then keep falling back on BFBC2, in other words, not as big of a fan of BF4 like I was for BFBC2. Wondering if there are other similar games out there I can try... must be available on PC

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Games that have
1. Vehicles and aircraft, in addition to FPS
2. Decent # of players playing online

I love BF and HATE CoD, I have BF3 and BF4, I play BF4 every now and then but then keep falling back on BFBC2, in other words, not as big of a fan of BF4 like I was for BFBC2. Wondering if there are other similar games out there I can try... must be available on PC
BF is really the only place you'll find that kind of gameplay in my experience. CoD World at War tried to bring tanks into the fold, but didn't really do such a good job. They were easy to avoid and didn't really change gameplay that much unless you were stupid and ran face first into one.

BF2 might be worth a shot for you, the vehicles are probably better done in that version than any other BF, the tanks and APCs are less gimmicky (but a little more powerful if you use them right, likewise for the helos and jets) but a lot of people cried about vehicle rape too much, which lead to the nerfing they got in BC2 and beyond.

That said, in BF2 the gun play was fairly atrocious, with random deviation and other nonsense that made it seem like shooting spitballs.

MiataNC

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2007
Give Planetside2 a try. It's free to play. It's a Sci-Fi FPS MMO with vehicles (tanks, VTOL fighters, buggies, troop transports, etc.)

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Give Planetside2 a try. It's free to play. It's a Sci-Fi FPS MMO with vehicles (tanks, VTOL fighters, buggies, troop transports, etc.)

+1

planetside 2 is amazing

soe is messing with it somewhat and there is some monetizatin and accessability issues that they are somewhat tainting the game with

have you tried arma

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Doesn't Crysis MP have vehicles in it? Don't know if there is much community.

I know there is a version of Tribes online that has all that. Not sure how busy it is at this point.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
I would say Arma 3. The amount of high quality community mods is a huge bonus. I can't think of a bigger multiplayer map in PC gaming than 'Altis' (270 sq km).

Many people hate it due to the controls, though. At this point, with lots of experience they don't bother me at all. Your initial experience may be extremely frustrating.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Doesn't Crysis MP have vehicles in it? Don't know if there is much community.

Yeah....Crysis and Crysis Wars had lots of vehicles - land / sea / air. I thought it was a blast and probably put more hours into that MP than any since. I can remember Power Struggle matches going on for hours.

The community has been pretty much dead for years, though.

AdamantC

Apr 19, 2011
Another vote for Planetside 2. It's an absolute blast and the only thing non-paying players can't get are cosmetic items.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
thanks guys, its downloading, will try it out tonight! I have HD6850, is that good enough for this game?

Its funny, many years ago I asked for a recommendation of a game that was like Tribes 2, and everyone recommended BFBC2, as it was similar to Tribes 2 minus the scifi aspect, I settled for it and LOVED it, now that the number of online players for BFBC2 is dwindling, I ask for another recommendation and this one is more like Tribes 2!

btw, I did try the new tribes that came out a couple of years back but did not like it that much...

Last edited:

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
+1 more for Planetside 2. Tons of fun. Squad up and work as a team.

Be patient though: BIG learning curve. Much more to pay attention to than COD or BF.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
There is also the old school Joint Operations: Combined Arms, I had a blast on JO years ago.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
I tried on 3 separate occasions to get into planetside 2, but every time I do I end up wandering around empty landscapes for a half hour with absolutely no idea what is going on or what I should be doing.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I tried on 3 separate occasions to get into planetside 2, but every time I do I end up wandering around empty landscapes for a half hour with absolutely no idea what is going on or what I should be doing.

Try the instant action button on the deploy screen. that should drop you on a hot battle. Most bases you have to cap the flag (A,B,C) to turn the base for your faction. Bigger bases might have shields and such to deal with first. You can also press insert to auto join a nearby squad and stick with them base to base.

When you first start playing just get used to the game and how the guns work. If you haven't put much time in you might want to start over and do the tutorial.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i'd love to play arma 3, but that game takes dedication, time and resources. you don't just pop in for a quick pubstomp.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
i'd love to play arma 3, but that game takes dedication, time and resources. you don't just pop in for a quick pubstomp.

They don't even have a proper tutorial in the game. Talk about a steep learning curve for a game that ends up being a walking simulator.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008

Did you go through the training? That's what I am going right now