Are there any new Master of Orion type games out or coming soon?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Doggiedog, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Doggiedog

Doggiedog Lifer

I haven't been looking and I saw this article and it made me want to play a game like MOO again.

I think the last one I bought was Sins of a Solar Empire which was OK but nothing like MOO.

Are there any games that have come out recently or are expected to come out in the 3E (?) category?

2. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

You mean Space 4X?
    No, not really. Folks are still milking Galactic Civilizations 2 and the expansions. We've had too many disappointments over the years and are wary.

My faves:
    MOO 2
    Imperium Galactica 2
    Galactic Civilizations 2

MOO 3 was a joke, and everyone else gets swallowed up by larger companies who either kill the franchise or release a crappy game and no one takes them seriously anymore.

3. Doggiedog

Doggiedog Lifer

That's right the 4X. I was thinking 4E. :)

Yeah, Gal Civ 2 was not bad. I got the first expansion pack but haven't touched it since. The expansion didn't really seem to be worth it.

4. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

The expansions by themselves are worth it, BUT, what you should do is dig up the gold edition for a reasonable price and get everything at once.

Win.

5. BladeVenom

BladeVenom Lifer

Elemental: War of Magic is Stardock's next game. It's a 4X type of game, although fantasy not sci-fi.

6. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

I didnt even know the beta was open until today, when they said it was closing.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/365384

I am neck deep in school and dont know if I can devote time to this, school, and work.

Whaddaya think?
    I've been eyeballing this game for a while now. Doing the beta might be a way to see if I like the gameplay or not.

7. Doggiedog

Doggiedog Lifer

Actually, I liked Master of Magic over MOO. They were both great games though.

8. GaryJohnson

GaryJohnson Senior member

I really like Sword of the Stars. If the combat were only turn based... sigh.