Are there any motorcycles with automatic shifting?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K6

Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: KraziKid
Originally posted by: K6
Ferro 850 some picts front rear

Those brake rotors are funky.

I agree , also are almost useless on a normal road bike , that kind of rotor are born for off-road bike .... after some years they are also used on road race-bike.

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Staley8
Get a manual tranny, not an auto on a motorcycle you tard. Shifting through the gears is part of the fun of being on a bike. The automatics are for the mentally or physically challenged people.....you aren't mentally or physically challenged are you?

Depends who you ask...

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Roger
My nieghbor down the street has a Honds 600 or 750 with a two speed auto, I laughed my a$$ off the first time I saw it :)
The HondaMatic!

ZV

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: Roger
My nieghbor down the street has a Honds 600 or 750 with a two speed auto, I laughed my a$$ off the first time I saw it :)
The HondaMatic!

ZV

Yeah the Hondamatic, but I think they were 450s. I don't think the trans would handle a 750!

JC

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
How does shifting work on a bike? I hear you don't have to use the clutch? How does that work?
And you push the pedal down to downshift and up to upshift right?

BigJimbo

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2002
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
How does shifting work on a bike? I hear you don't have to use the clutch? How does that work?

yea you only need the clutch for launch, after that you just click up...but if your too rpm are too low you cant shift w/o the clutch....cars are the same way just a little harder cuz you have to move the stick left, right, up and downnot just up and down

My Bike

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: BigJimbo

yea you only need the clutch for launch, after that you just click up...but if your too rpm are too low you cant shift w/o the clutch....cars are the same way just a little harder cuz you have to move the stick left, right, up and downnot just up and down

I think it's harder on a bike, because neutral is between 1st and 2nd....I hit neutral many times when I was learning to ride!

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: JC

I think it's harder on a bike, because neutral is between 1st and 2nd....I hit neutral many times when I was learning to ride!

How do you get to 2nd without going through neutral?

BigJimbo

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2002

ive never hit neutral when i shift without the clutch (it maybe some safty thing) yet i have hit i getting on the bike really hard and nothing is more embarising then a crotch rocket missing a gear and all you hear is wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000

You do go through neutral.....but you pull up harder, and it skips into 2nd....hopefully :)

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
As has been pointed out, the Ridley, and perhaps one or two others exist. None really proved reliable (at least I never heard of one as good as usual).

Being lazy on a motorcycle is a pretty good sign you are going to get in trouble. Shifting requries minimal concentration compared to the other skills you need.

Auto tranny?

As Mr Horse says... "No sir, I didn't like it"

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999

ive never hit neutral when i shift without the clutch (it maybe some safty thing) yet i have hit i getting on the bike really hard and nothing is more embarising then a crotch rocket missing a gear and all you hear is wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

hehehehehhe

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000

Don't you go through neutral to get from 1st to 2nd in the average standard shift car?

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
WTF!?!!? IF YOU WANT ANY AUTOMATIC DRIVE A FVCKING TOYOTA CAMERY!!!

[/end rant]

Seriousally, that's the most retarded thing I've ever heard. I wouldn't even own a car that was automatic.

hoyaguru

Jun 9, 2003
I used to own a Hondamatic 400 and a 750, the 400 sucked, the 750 was a great little bike. It didn't have the same pickup as a bike with gears, but is did cruise and it was fun to ride. Everyone who rode bikes where I come from (most of my friends) laughed when they saw it, but every one of them liked it after they tried it out. You can find them on Ebay for around $1000.00, I would guess that they will be a collector's item someday, Honda only made them for 2 years (77 and 78 I think, but I might be mistaken). The transmission worked with the foot pedal, you could put it in 1st gear and get a little extra speed on takeoff, then switch up to second gear (no clutch at all, feels kind of weird when you first ride it). Or, you can just keep it in second and take off, it's like riding a big moped or something.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Cyberian

Don't you go through neutral to get from 1st to 2nd in the average standard shift car?

I've never ridden, but I thought that from first, it clicks THROUGH neutral in one single upward motion, so from first, when you pull up on the lever, it goes "click-click," through neutral before you release the lever, whereas from 2nd to 3rd it only goes "click." On the 1-2, if you release the lever at the first "click," THEN you end up in neutral.

Am I right?

I've also heard that if you actually care about the bike and want it to last, you'll always use the clutch for shifting.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Thegonagle
Originally posted by: Cyberian

I've never ridden, but I thought that from first, it clicks THROUGH neutral in one single upward motion, so from first, when you pull up on the lever, it goes "click-click," through neutral before you release the lever, whereas from 2nd to 3rd it only goes "click." On the 1-2, if you release the lever at the first "click," THEN you end up in neutral.

Am I right?

I've also heard that if you actually care about the bike and want it to last, you'll always use the clutch for shifting.

If all you have to do was wait through that extra click, biking doesn't seem so challanging....where is the cluctch?

<--bike noob

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
UP, UP, UP!

Somebody please answer our bike NooB questions!

(I know the clutch is operated with the left hand lever.)

KenGr

Aug 22, 2002
Since no one else seems to be closing this out, one firm upward stroke (oh, that sounds good!) goes from first to second. There is a "click" or detent that is passed through which is neutral. If you stop when you hit this spot (sometimes it's really hard to stop!!) you will be in neutral. Most bikes are harder to shift into neutral when stopped, so it's best to hit neutral while still rolling.

Clutchless shifting - most bikes have constant mesh transmissions. As long as you roll off the throttle carefully, shifting without the clutch is no more wearing than using the clutch. Because of the rotating mass of the transmission and the wet clutch behavior, shifting at the wrong shift points is tough on the transmission, even when using the clutch. Full throttle shifts without the clutch are possible but not recommended. However, you don't need to fully pull the clutch lever, you can just fan it and take enough pressure off the transmission to shift quickly and smoothly.

A lot of this depends on the bike. Transmissions are very different.