Are there any good 27" 1080p 144Hz G-Sync monitors?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by thejunglegod, Oct 6, 2017.

1. thejunglegod

thejunglegod Golden Member

I did a bit of searching and fell short in terms of availability of the subject monitor. I've come to realize that there are definitely no IPS variants but I'm ok with the TN as well.
    The monitor that meets all of the above requirements is the BenQ XL2720Z, which looks amazing. It is however, old. But does that make a difference anyway?

I would like to mention that I'm currently using an ASUS PG278Q which I purchased only this January and has troubled me so much that Asus is willing to refund the entire amount. I've also come to realize that my 980ti isn't quite ready for 1440p since it finds it difficult to extract more than 70 fps in most modern games. 1080p is a good enough a resolution for me.
    So TLDR: Is the BenQ XL2720Z a good enough monitor that satisfies the subject requirements or are there any other good ones? Thanks in advance.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - good 1080p 144Hz Forum Date
    Now I have a really good use case for 4K display. Displays Nov 15, 2017
    Is this a good monitor or no ? Displays Nov 9, 2017
    Upgrading monitor from 1080p to 1440p Displays Sep 29, 2017
    27" Pro Graphics Monitor, also good for gaming Displays Jun 23, 2017
    Good, reasonably priced 40"+ 4k monitor (gaming) Displays Jun 12, 2017

3. Jaskalas

Jaskalas Lifer

I am getting ready to take the dive on a display with these specs. It'd be for my GTX 1060. Acer has one that is top of my list. In a couple weeks I may be able to write about it.

Acer Predator XB271H bmiprz 27-inch Full HD (1920x1080) NVIDIA G-SYNC Monitor (Display Port & HDMI Port, 144Hz)

4. thejunglegod

Ahh see? I knew a thread like this would help. I've literally scoured the internet for the past few days for a 1080p 144z with Gsync and ive not yet come across this monitor. Thank you kind sir. It'll be difficult to source this for me though in Mumbai. But i'll give it my best shot.

5. Jaskalas

Jaskalas Lifer

I have purchased this item, and am writing from it now.

Early impressions are WOW. Same 1080p resolution, same 27" size... MUCH sharper and clearer than my old HP 2709m. Is this the benefit of a new generation of display tech? Maybe the transition from LCD to LED. Has powerful anti-glare and brightness. Got direct sunlight in the background this morning and it is hardly noticeable. Colors pop out more, and no apparent dead pixel or back-light issues.

144hz seems nice. Although that's the one aspect that may take more time... or even more of a comparison to truly appreciate.

-----------------------------

First day impression: Very happy with a noticeable upgrade in hand.

Second day: Some back-light towards the upper left but not from the normal viewing angle. Totally acceptable. I swear 144hz has improved my aiming / tracking in Overwatch. Don't know how, but apparently more fluid motion agrees with my brain. I thought 60hz was fine, but apparently not.

#4 Jaskalas, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  6. thejunglegod

Hmm nice. I went ahead with the BenQ and am very pleased with the results as well. There is the obvious shift in color since it is a TN panel and no GSYNC, but I haven't seen any tearing yet on any of the games I've played so far (Mainly Dishonored 2, Divinity Original Sin and League of Legends) all with Vsync turned Off. I don't really play Overwatch since the gameplay doesn't really excite me much but I absolutely had a blast with CS GO. Loving the out of the box color gamut as well.
    Basic summary: Excellent quality monitor which doesn't burn a hole in your pocket.

7. Headfoot

Headfoot Diamond Member

Yup, the fluidity straight up makes you better at FPS's. Its awesome. To get those really high FPS rates to use that HZ though you have to have a fast CPU and fast RAM, or play an easy to run game like overwatch.

8. woodman1999

woodman1999 Golden Member

This Acer monitor may be the one I end up with for Christmas. I am downgrading in size from my old 30" Dell since it's just to much on corner desk. Any other comments on it a couple weeks later?

9. Jaskalas

Jaskalas Lifer

Some musings then...

Not sure I have the calibration right. I typically turn down the brightness to as little as 15-25%. This display appears to be brighter in its colors than my old display. As a result colors (red, green, blue, yellow, etc) pop out more. OTOH, dark greys are brighter too. I see it capable of displaying a solid black for the edges or frames around a video player, but most (all?) content is using something off black, and those stand out more. I really cannot decide if I like it brighter, or if there's a hint of wash out that I'd like to try to adjust out of it.

Suppose I can tweak it back and forth easily in the NVIDIA control panel next time I see something stand out. Maybe then I can figure out if can find a calibration that appeals to me more than the current one.