Are there any digicams with Wifi?

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
well bluetooth wouldn't be a good standard to adopt in cameras because it's so slow - something like 30kb/s. imagine transferring 256mb of images.....15min, yuck. and 802.11 would be somewhat expensive. but it's a good idea though - i can't wait to see this feature in a camera.

=|

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Nikon's new D2H professional digital SLR camera was designed for photojournalists and sports/action photographers. The D2H sets a new standard in speed and accuracy while achieving exceptional image quality. The new 4.1 effective megapixel (2484 x 1636) DX format JFET imaging sensor was designed to be the foundation for the D2H system's advanced performance. Virtually every aspect of the camera's performance has been designed from the ground up to facilitate high-speed photography under demanding conditions. The D2H is capable of continuously shooting 8 frames per second and buffers up to 40 JPEG images. It incorporates an all new 11-sensor autofocus system with 9 cross type sensors and versatile performance, a revolutionary new 4.1 effective megapixel imaging sensor and Wi-Fi capabilities for 802.11b wireless transmission of images.

jmcoreymv

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hrmm well so its available in a very expensive camera. How about a camera in the 3-400 dollar range?

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
As Aphex already said, the Nikon D2H has such a feature:

The D2H has support for FTP built into its firmware, there is a setup page which allows you to define the FTP server, username, password and folder to be used for upload as well as the image format to upload. For instance you can shoot RAW + JPEG and just transmit the JPEG via the WT-1. Images are written to the CF card first and then transmitted, in play mode the camera indicates images which are queued to be transmitted, which have been transmitted and the image which is currently being transmitted. The camera supports automatic reconnection should the wireless link be temporarily interrupted. In action the system is very impressive, the ability to be completely portable and yet see your images 'popping up' on a remote machine is an eye opener.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: jmcoreymv
Hrmm well so its available in a very expensive camera. How about a camera in the 3-400 dollar range?

No. To my knowledge, the D2H is the only camera that has such a feature. You have to pay at least $3200 to get it.

But, as with many technologies, the wireless feature, if popular, may trickle down to mainstream cameras within 2 years. The cellphone + camera combos may help the trend.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

you could get this sony miniDV....when I was looking to buy my trv22 camcorder, I remembered reading about this one...not sure if this does what you are looking for...it does take still shots (1.9 megapixel???)

Text