Are there any Catholics here who are up on their theology?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: evident
just because a small amount of priests are criminals means one should abandon their entire faith... their faith needs to be between themselves and god, not what a few criminals who are catholics do....

OP, if you have any questions shoot them my way :)

The Church is complicit in these priest's actions by transferring them, paying their legal fees and lying every time the matter is brought up. In fact, it's considered acceptable to lie if it's in defense of the Church by Church law.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
*Moonbeam mode in*

The nature and necessity of evil come from the gift of free will. We know that God's ultimate goal is good but wonder why there is evil if (i.e. since) he knows about it and why he tolerates it but maybe those evils spur a reaction that brings about more goodness for the universe as a whole. We need to stop thinking on our limited, tiny scale and try to see what happens on the cosmic scale. Without free will, we would be just emanations of God, boring like the angels. God wants our love and the only love that is truly great and grand is one that is freely given. If there is no chance of rejecting God, no free will, then acceptance of God is diminished in value. That may be why God does not micromanage the universe and does not react to stop evil and illness and injury at every occasion. It is impossible for our finite minds to grasp his purpose but we may have an inkling due to the seed of goodness he has placed within our souls.

*Moonbeam mode out*

Holy crap, you're channeling Moonbeam. Well, insomuch as is possible while sober.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: DangerAardvarkIn fact, it's considered acceptable to lie if it's in defense of the Church by Church law.

Have an official link behind that?

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: CadetLee
Originally posted by: DangerAardvarkIn fact, it's considered acceptable to lie if it's in defense of the Church by Church law.

What is this P&N? It's called the Doctrine of Mental Reservation. You google it.

YoungGun21

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Originally posted by: moshquerade
why has insulting Catholics become so acceptable? i certainly did nothing to deserve it.

I don't just poke fun at Catholics. I make fun of all religions equally.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
*Moonbeam mode in*

The nature and necessity of evil come from the gift of free will. We know that God's ultimate goal is good but wonder why there is evil if (i.e. since) he knows about it and why he tolerates it but maybe those evils spur a reaction that brings about more goodness for the universe as a whole. We need to stop thinking on our limited, tiny scale and try to see what happens on the cosmic scale. Without free will, we would be just emanations of God, boring like the angels. God wants our love and the only love that is truly great and grand is one that is freely given. If there is no chance of rejecting God, no free will, then acceptance of God is diminished in value. That may be why God does not micromanage the universe and does not react to stop evil and illness and injury at every occasion. It is impossible for our finite minds to grasp his purpose but we may have an inkling due to the seed of goodness he has placed within our souls.

*Moonbeam mode out*

Holy crap, you're channeling Moonbeam. Well, insomuch as is possible while sober.

Moonbeam would actually have said the same stuff in some less comprehensible way. ;)

skulkingghost

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2006
I've been a youth minister for quite awhile, and got 9 out of the 12 years of catholic education (had 3 years of reprieve in between) let me know if you have any questions.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: CadetLee

What is this P&N? It's called the Doctrine of Mental Reservation. You google it.

Wow...way to twist words there. The Doctrine you're referring to doesn't have the meaning that you're trying to spin on it. It's more for people that lie that are protecting those that are being persecuted:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10195b.htm

For instance, in WWII those that were hiding Jews from the Nazis lied to officers that they were hiding them. It was a lie, so it is a sin. However, the Doctrine is invoked to make the lie justified in the circumstances.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have a question for Catholics too. Approximately how many more kids have to be molested (then lied about by the Church) before you leave? Just a rough estimate.

Recent insurance company figures demonstrate that Protestant ministers have abused children AT LEAST as often as has occurred in Catholic parishes, yet the press ignored the story (except for Fox). At least the Catholic Church has a measure of control over the priesthood whereas the various Protestant denominations have no central authority or control, and these predators are able to move freely among the different churches across the country, preying on children the whole way.

Interestingly, though one post alludes to these facts, both you and GagReflex choose to ignore it. Blinded by zealotry?

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
None of my priests were diddlers *shrug*

Maybe it's time for the Vatican to invest in Fleshlights? :p :Q

You keyboard jockeys like Gag and all you other trolls, if people like you could for one second just STFU and respect other people's beliefs AT LEAST WHILE IN A PUBLIC FORUM, the world would be such a better place :sun:

Unfortunately you feel the need to spend your time bitching about things you could never change... only coming out of your lurking to stir up the pot... and to think it's the harmless neffers that get the vacations around here :)

:heart: ATOT

edit: oh yeah I love how anyone who is even 1% spiritual is a "zealot" or "bible-thumper" around here. f'in grow up :roll:

Greyd

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Greyd
why has insulting Catholics become so acceptable? i certainly did nothing to deserve it.

Uhhh......how long have you been on ATOT?
Uhhh......about as long as you have and in that time Catholic bashing has increased and become even more acceptable.

Look, I haven't done anything to warrant it and I'm tired of being fair game.

That was my point. Being here on ATOT you should know that people bash religion cause its cool to be part of the crowd. There's rarely if ever any actual debate/discussion - its just knee jerk reactions.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004

Uhhh......about as long as you have and in that time Catholic bashing has increased and become even more acceptable.

That was my point. Being here on ATOT you should know that people bash religion cause its cool to be part of the crowd. There's rarely if ever any actual debate/discussion - its just knee jerk reactions.

Heh. People bash religion to be part of the crowd. That's probably the most backward thing I've ever heard. And I have a lifetime subscription to Backward Doubletalk Weekly.

Besides, I'm not here to bash. In fact I haven't said anything derogatory at all. The problem is any time you ask a question about religion someone doesn't want to answer you're "bashing" their religion.

As for Protestant abuse, Protestants are much less centralized than Catholics. Even though many American Catholics simply regard the Pope as some nice old man in Italy, the link is still there. But, the key difference here is the massive cover-up by the Catholic Church.
Let me see if I can state this in the most obvious way possible: The Catholic Church harbors, aids and abets pedophiles.

And let no one accuse me of being biased against Catholics. I'm biased against all religion equally.

And above all don't lump me in with Gag.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Heh. People bash religion to be part of the crowd. That's probably the most backward thing I've ever heard. And I have a lifetime subscription to Backward Doubletalk Weekly.

I would, in my experiences, say that religion-bashing has become much more "vogue" in general as of late, and on ATOT it definitely seems to be the rule rather than the exception.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

Besides, I'm not here to bash. In fact I haven't said anything derogatory at all. The problem is any time you ask a question about religion someone doesn't want to answer you're "bashing" their religion.

As for Protestant abuse, Protestants are much less centralized than Catholics. Even though many American Catholics simply regard the Pope as some nice old man in Italy, the link is still there. But, the key difference here is the massive cover-up by the Catholic Church.
Let me see if I can state this in the most obvious way possible: The Catholic Church harbors, aids and abets pedophiles.

And let no one accuse me of being biased against Catholics. I'm biased against all religion equally.

"Let me see if I can state this in the most obvious way possible: The Catholic Church harbors, aids and abets pedophiles."

This is NOT a present day practice, and I am sick to death of people like you perpetuating it.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com

This is NOT a present day practice, and I am sick to death of people like you perpetuating it.

But people like that need an axe to grind. Do you know how empty their lives would become if we 'papists' were not followers of the Antichrist and rapture was but a gimmick popularized by a premillennialist conman in the 19th century? ;)

Still sometimes I feel like going Torquemada on their ass. Must be my Jesuit education.:p

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004

"Let me see if I can state this in the most obvious way possible: The Catholic Church harbors, aids and abets pedophiles."

Present day? 2002 is pretty damn close to the "present day" for comfort. Regardless of reforms in how the Church handles these cases, the fact is that they had to be forced on them. Can you name a single other organization that could get away with that and still retain its members?

I'm not trying to talk you out of your beliefs. That's futile. Especially over the internet.

I know forgiveness is a virtue. But I'm not Catholic, and some things are unforgettable and unforgivable.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

Present day? 2002 is pretty damn close to the "present day" for comfort. Regardless of reforms in how the Church handles these cases, the fact is that they had to be forced on them. Can you name a single other organization that could get away with that and still retain its members?

I'm not trying to talk you out of your beliefs. That's futile. Especially over the internet.

I know forgiveness is a virtue. But I'm not Catholic, and some things are unforgettable and unforgivable.
2002 is not present day. IT WAS FIVE YEARS AGO! What are you smoking? :confused:

You can STOP saying that the Catholic Church harbors, aids, and abets pedophiles. This DID happen in the past. I freely admit it, and I never CONDONED IT! I don't see it happening NOW though, NOT IN THE PRESENT, NOT TODAY!

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
*Moonbeam mode in*

*Moonbeam mode out*

dennilfloss, that may well be the best post I've ever seen you make on any forum!