Question Are there any 5-7nm GPUs in the 75 Watt range? Or, when will wee see them?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

amd6502

Apr 21, 2017
Will we see a semi-affordable small die consumer GPU using an advanced node (5nm - 7nm )? And what sort of performance (relative to a RX-560) could we expect on such a card tuned to a factory 75 Watt TDP?

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Have you considered this?

https://www.pny.com/nvidia-t600

You could go even lower to the T400, but I don't think the savings justify it.
Interesting, never knew these existed. After doing quick research it has Turing core, but still old pascal generation NVENC which is very disappointing. Still, it's fairly good value compared to all the other options on the market.

Aug 16, 2021
This is probably the fastest your going get for low wattage.
But its a Quadro... meaning its horrible when it comes to games, but will do everything else fine and then some, especially if you need a NVENC card.

View attachment 48445

That card does not require any aux 6-8 pin.
If we could just find some hacked drivers to make it play its Gforce counter part, it could probably be "acceptable" for 1080p @60hz.
Quadros perform the same as GeForce equivalent. This card should perform a little bit slower than GTX 1060 3GB (lower clock speed, but more cores, faster memory, more vRAM). There is nothing Quadro in it that makes it perform worse. They share GP106 core.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Yeah, they don’t want to bother with lower margin parts at like ALL. Maybe with the 4000 series we get to enjoy a <=40 watt SKU. Too bad Apple doesn’t want to enter the PC GPU market. We definitely could use more competition.

2) Also, I am really not a fan of higher performance SKUs with 3 slot coolers in order to quietly tame those 300w+ monsters. I like very everything in 3090, except the fact that it likes to heat my room on a hotter day, a bit too much.

View attachment 48366

This is the case.

The stock voltage curves are a bit overaggressive. You can reduce the power consumption down to around 270W without giving up any performance with a bit of undervolting. The 3080 is quite a bit better here because it has less of the power hungry G6X VRAM, you can get down to around 240W and still maintain stock performance.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I'd like a card like that for my Plex server. I could buy a higher wattage card, but I don't really want to deal with additional PCIe power cables. I could also buy Quadro, but newer RTX cards have better NVENC engines. I guess I'll just have to wait till ETH goes PoS and video card situation normalizes, should only take another year or two.
Probably cheaper to get new board and cpu.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I don't know if you'd want to run it at those settings, but miners took the 6600XT and got it down to 55W while maximizing the hash rate. Of course that means really dropping the clocks on the cores, but boosting them on the memory.

I would imagine that some of the lower-end Nvidia GPUs could be tweaked to hit that level, but honestly for what these cards are going for I don't think it's worth it to even buy them for their usual stock performance.

Maybe there will be some even lower end cards eventually that don't have enough VRAM to mine. Those will probably be a little less expensive and easy to tune to run at a lower power draw.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Probably cheaper to get new board and cpu.

depends on his objective.... for plex... NVENC is pretty much king when you need to transcode 4k and down sample, or add something very stupid like smi subtitles.... why does plex need to transcode for smi subtitles... *sigh*