Are the wires under YOUR desk a fire hazard?

J0hnny

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2002
I rarely stop to think about the huge number of cords underneath my desk. A lot of different powercords plugged into 2 different surge protectors and then all the computer related cords, CAT5, coaxial cable, etc. Half of those cords are tangled around the two large surge protectors too.

I am installing a water cooling system for my computer next to the outlets as well...

Baronz

Mar 12, 2002
Oh yes, I have a total of 3 powerstick things, one plugged into another...ran out of outlets so nothing else to do.

One day i took out all the non-used wires, so its alot less of a ball of 100 difference cables.

I keep my fire extinguisher close :D

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
As long as the outlet strips are plugged into a wall, and all of the stuff in the strips is plugged in completely (reduce the chance of shock) then, no, MY wires under MY desk are not a fire hazard like the wires under YOUR desk, J0hnny.

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
I have three powerstrips under my desk with all of the plugs used. How do you like dem apples. :D

J0hnny

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2002
What's the largest number of power strips have you daisy changed. At one point in my apartment, I had 5 of them daisy changed to a single outlet on the wall!

I've only got on power strip plugged into the wall. It's filled, but I don't anticipate any new cords being added anytime soon.

Fireman

Golden Member
May 18, 2000
Only the power cords pose any kind of hazard. Be sure to use a quality surge protector/splitter. The cheapo ones do light up now and then.
It's not a real good idea to daisy chain them.