Are the newer i7's becomming less OC friendly?

Tweakin

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2000
It is running fine, hot and likes voltage, but ok so far at 19x200 with a cpu voltage of 1.3525. Temps are ok, low-mid 60's under air, but my earlier chips ran cooler with a lower vid. Have no idea about the OC capabilities as both of my first two systems were pretty much afu.

Tweakin

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2000
Originally posted by: masteryoda34
Every chip overclocks differently. Generally chips get better over time.

Normally I would agree...but with my vid's going up along with my blood pressure, I'm not sure anymore. I'm still burning this one in on air...3.8 and going!

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
wow, nice rigs...

Say you were to do some game benchmarks between the two, with sli disabled on the p6t...

How would they compare?

nib95

Jan 31, 2006
Well, I only bought mine last week. And it's running at 3.8ghz on a 1.28vcore, with a Zalman CNPS9900 with temps of around 37 idle and around 69-74 load (depending on how long Prime95 is left on).

GundamF91

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
Chips always get less OC friendly over time as mfg standards loosen. You can look at Q6600 and how the last of the Q6600 weren't very OC candidates in general.

The thing is that when new chip models are made, Intel puts in extra effort to ensure yield, and that tends to make very high quality chips. Overtime, as they get better at making uniform batches, the yields remain high despite some cost cutting to cut corners. So you'll get less capable OC chips. You have to understand that this is different from the stepping change, because in stepping change, you're looking at refinements to the chip themselves, so they get more efficient. But the story with the actual fabrication is always focused on cost, and as they get better at making these, they cut costs and results in worse OC headroom.

Keep in mind that intel is not being "nice" to give lots of OC headroom in their chips. it's a margin that's required to provide high enough yield of the batch manufacturing process. If they can cut costs by having less OC headroom, and still maintain yield, then that's no-brainer a business decision