Are the games "Psychonauts" and "Tomb Raider: Underworld" keyboard games?

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Or are they best played with a gamepad? They're on my list of games to play and I keep putting off getting a good controller.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I played Psychonauts with KB and Mouse and didn't have much of a problem. But it would have been easier with a controller I'd say. Great game regardless

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I think all of the Tomb Raider games play great with the KB+M, Underworld being no exception.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Psychonauts is much better with a pad. Worth getting a controller for though IMO.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Almost every game besides FPS are better played with an analog joystick. But you probably won't have problems with most platformers with a keyboard. Now racing games, I don't see how anyone can have fun with digital controls.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
I doubt it matters much what you play Psychonauts with, action obviously isn't the focus of the game. I've played it halfway through with KB+M and it was highly sufficient.

That said, since there are many games which are best played with a pad, why not get one and see for yourself what works best.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
i played pyschonauts w/ kb/m and i didn't have any problems

seemed fine to me

plus it MUST be played at 1080p or higher its just such an amazing looking game artistically

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
I played Psychonauts with a pad, and it was good.

A word of warning if you use the 360 controller though: Windows reads the L and R triggers as a z+/z- axis, and Psychonauts won't let you bind them to separate buttons by default. I had to use Xpadder to get it working.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
psychonauts definitely seems more on a controller, as a 3D platformer type. great game, but i never finished it... maybe I should dig it up.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
I have underworld, you will get through the levels much faster with a controller.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Psychonauts is definitely a pad game.

At first I thought that said "bad game" and I was like :(

I played Psychonauts on the xbox, which felt pretty good. It's hard to analyze whether it would have been better or worse on a KB/Mouse, but I think I'd say controller suits it better.

Jesusthewererabbit

Mar 20, 2008
At first I thought that said "bad game" and I was like :(

I played Psychonauts on the xbox, which felt pretty good. It's hard to analyze whether it would have been better or worse on a KB/Mouse, but I think I'd say controller suits it better.

Oh no, there is nothing bad about Psychonauts. It's up there with Mario 64 as one of my favorite 3D platformers.

I played some of it with KBM, and it worked fine, but I enjoyed it much more after I switched to a pad.