Question Are than any routers that allow me to use my iPhone as a modem?

beastykato

Jul 20, 2017
I have two AC1900 Asus routers in my home that allow you to tether in an Android based phone/device and broadcast your 3G/4G internet connection throughout your home.

I recently bought a new iPhone SE just because it was so cheap after promos for the specs. I'm not an Apple fan or an Apple hater, not really a brand loyalist in anyway if a company makes a better product, but I think I've found out why I typically stay away from Apple products.

My new iPhone does not function with the Asus router that seems to be compatible only with Android tethering. Are there any routers that will allow this function with an iPhone? Or is there a possible way for me to set up the Asus router I currently have to function with the iPhone?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
It is probaly7 not a Router issue but an iPhone + phone carrier issue.

Before spending any money find if you carrier and the iPhone allow tethering.

:cool:

Reactions: VirtualLarry

beastykato

Jul 20, 2017
The phone carrier and plan are still the same. The router software communicates with Android fine, but Apple seems to have some proprietary software in place.

The Asus software specifically lists Android as well with no mention of Apple.

I fear with the limited responses this is just something Apple has locked down.

edit: I did find this reddit post that seems relevant. It appears there are some devices that can do it with Apple.

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
If your phone carrier allow tethering: then try

Buy a WiFi extender with ethernet port from TP-LInk or Netgear

Turn on iPhone Personal Hotspot,

Use a PC to configure the extender to connect to the iPhone hotspot, unplug the PC and connect it to ASUS router's WAN port.

==

Make sure you can pay your telephone bill . 😁

Last edited: