Are ?silver? dental fillings safe?

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Anyone who has ever had a tooth cavity has probably seen a dentist who drilled it and packed it with a ?silver? filling. But how many patients know what?s in that silver? And whether it could have consequences for your health?

Link

RDMustang1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2001
wow, never would have thought... scary to think of what we don't know about ourselves...

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000

<< I'd ask the dentist to stop the lead ones that you seem to have been getting. :p >>

u better
eventually u might lose your memory :p

gittyup

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2000
I had a friend who had all of his silver fillings replaced with the white ones. We are talking like 20. He swears he felt better after doing so. Ofcourse, I think he was a bit odd in the first place.

Hakunin

May 12, 2001
They are supposed to be pretty safe, but I think they used to put mercury in them, I don't know if they still use it. :Q

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< They are supposed to be pretty safe, but I think they used to put mercury in them >>

I was listening to a Neurologist on the radio a few months back. He seemed to indicate that silver fillings were bad news and could have a great effect on the health of many, many people.

nippyjun

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
This is a very controversial topic in dentistry. Most dentists agree that they are safe. They do have mercury in them though and are still used today. They are still considered to be the best filling material as far as wear and tear, but not esthetics of course. My philosophy is that dentists themselves are exposed to this material more then anyone else and there isn't a higher illness rate among dentists then the general population. Dentist have to drill out old ones and put in new ones all the time and are exposed to the aerosolized form of the materials. Even with a mask they are still breating it in and they are fine.

rufruf44

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
Don't use it if you can, the &quot;white&quot; filling is a bit more expensive but not by much.

Feb 10, 2000
I remember years ago Ronnie Lane of the Small Faces had taken ill with Multiple Sclerosis (remember the star-studded ARMS charity concerts), and supposedly recovered when they removed his silver fillings. For my part, I have many silver fillings and as far as I know they have caused no problems ;).