Question Are ryzen cpu drivers necessary

Mtj

Oct 9, 2016
I'm giving my new build final touch. I have already upgraded my motherboard to latest firmware, installed amd chipset drivers because otherwise some devices are not recognized by Windows and I noticed that AMD offers CPU drivers as well. Are those drivers necessary? I usually try to install as little as possible software on Windows.

Mtj

Oct 9, 2016
Amd offers separate drivers for chipset and for CPU. I have installed the chipset drivers because otherwise some hardware is unrecognized by Windows. The installation went fine and all devices are recognized by Windows. I checked the drivers for my Ryzen 3700 and Windows is using drivers from Microsoft dated 2009.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I think there might be a "CPU Driver" that adds the Ryzen Balanced Power plan, pretty sure that's all it does. That may be in the chipset drivers too, I don't remember.

Mtj

Oct 9, 2016
I think there might be a "CPU Driver" that adds the Ryzen Balanced Power plan, pretty sure that's all it does. That may be in the chipset drivers too, I don't remember.

That plan is already added and enabled if you install the chipset drivers. But like I said before, CPU driver is not included in chipset drivers and it must be installed separately.

I would like to know if anyone has installed Amd CPU driver and if this driver is stable. Microsoft CPU driver is old, from 2009, but at least is stable.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
That plan is already added and enabled if you install the chipset drivers. But like I said before, CPU driver is not included in chipset drivers and it must be installed separately.

I would like to know if anyone has installed Amd CPU driver and if this driver is stable. Microsoft CPU driver is old, from 2009, but at least is stable.

CPU driver?
Can you provide a link?
As others have mentioned, it should be the chipset drivers only.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Right. I thought he was maybe talking about Ryzen Master all along.

...but I understand the confusion--when you click on the expanded details for Ryzen Master, it does say "driver."

It isn't a driver, though.

Anyway, OP: no, you don't have to install that, unless you want to overclock or whatever. it does not contain drivers.

Reactions: Mtj

Mtj

Oct 9, 2016
You
Right. I thought he was maybe talking about Ryzen Master all along.

...but I understand the confusion--when you click on the expanded details for Ryzen Master, it does say "driver."

It isn't a driver, though.

Anyway, OP: no, you don't have to install that, unless you want to overclock or whatever. it does not contain drivers.

You are right. I presumed that was a driver, but it looks like a CPU utility, similar to Adrenalin software for graphic cards. As I said, I avoid to install software if it not needed and haven't used Amd cpus for the past 12 years. I think the last Amd I had was Athlon X64. No need to install then.

Thanks for help.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
You

You are right. I presumed that was a driver, but it looks like a CPU utility, similar to Adrenalin software for graphic cards. As I said, I avoid to install software if it not needed and haven't used Amd cpus for the past 12 years. I think the last Amd I had was Athlon X64. No need to install then.

Thanks for help.
Ryzen master is needed on a Ryzen system IMO. Its the only monitoring tool I can trust for temps and vcore.

Reactions: Drazick

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Ryzen master is needed on a Ryzen system IMO. Its the only monitoring tool I can trust for temps and vcore.

I agree and somewhat off topic, but I really don't even know where I would ask this, but is there a workaround for running Ryzen Master while having virtualization enabled? I get this whenever I try to launch it. I don't use Hyper-V all that much but it's annoying to have to reboot if I want to.

Clipboard01.jpg

Can this software be used just for monitoring? I'm not interested in overlooking.

Yes, and it is probably the most accurate method of doing so. That's how I use it 95% of the time. Otherwise it is a quick way to enable/disable PBO. I only bothered with the manual overclocking once, it's really more of a novelty.

gk1951

Jul 7, 2019
Markfw, you are correct and I mistyped. What I meant to say was Ryzen Master can both OC and monitor temps but also can ONLY monitor temp without OCing if you wish.
Sorry for the mistype.

Reactions: Thunder 57