Are riot batons legal to street carry?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Injury
Originally posted by: JEDI
hm.. apparently 20-inch collapsible batons (which shrinks to eight-inches) are illegal in Californaia.

Snoop Dog gets arrested

No... if you read the article you'll see that he tried taking it on to a damn plane.

There's a big different there. That, or owning/posessing liquids is also against the law.

Hey, come on......he'd have been carrying his 9mm, if they weren't so uptight about that, ya know?? :roll:

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
Originally posted by: GRIFFIN1
Why the hell would anybody want to carry around a baton anyways? Damn trouble makers.

A baton is a better self defense tool than curling up in the fetal position and begging for your life.

I doubt you'd be able to defend yourself with a riot baton.

Yea, if someone is holding a gu to your head, a baton wont do you much good. About as useful as a pair of numbchucks and an orange headband.

It's much better for keeping some distance between you and an assailant than your bare hands.

Not every one that intends to harm you is carrying a gun. I mean, what if some drunk ass in a bar wants to pick a fight because... well... they're drunk?

That, and because a baton is a non-lethal device, it's not bound by the restrictions that carrying a gun or knife are.

I'm certainly not for the promotion of everyone buying some item to defend themselves, but a baton can make a person think twice about messing with you, which is usually all the more you need.

More often than not, with some means of self defense, you'll scare a person and not have to use a item.

Jun 19, 2004
Why the hell would anybody want to carry around a baton anyways? Damn trouble makers.

A baton is a better self defense tool than curling up in the fetal position and begging for your life.

Is it really necessary to carry a weapon around with you? :roll:

I keep one in my truck, but not on my person.

I've actually forgotten it was there the one or two times it would have been really useful :D

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: MisterJackson

I've actually forgotten it was there the one or two times it would have been really useful :D

Well, thats ok. I carry a surefire and a pocket knife in my glove compartment. But to physically carry one with you is not necessary IMO.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: MisterJackson

Well, thats ok. I carry a surefire and a pocket knife in my glove compartment. But to physically carry one with you is not necessary IMO.

Well, that all depends on where you are going.

Trip to the grocery store or out for dinner with the family? Hell no.

Downtown to go bar hopping at night? Hell yes.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe

I doubt you'd be able to defend yourself with a riot baton.

Really? You ever been hit with one?

I think Snoop is just getting soft.......:)