Are people who use big words smart or idiots trying to sound smart?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Are big word users smart?

• Of course they are, they use big words.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • No, they are trying to impress you

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • I wish the OP would go back to lurking

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
To echo some of the other comments: it depends. Sometimes the "big word" fits the situation better. Sometimes the person is trying to show off. And the audience matters too. The word choices I make now with higher ed clients is often quite different than I would have used on the factory floor of my last job.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I prefer to use medium words. I work in construction so they are big to the guys in the field but not so big they have to Google what I just said and the higher ups in the office don't see me as a field guy that somehow wound up in the office.

Reactions: kranky

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I think most people just do it to sound impressive. They may or may not be smart, but there's no reason to purposely use $50 words in a conversation. IMO people who do that just sound like douches as they're basically trying to elevate themselves to perceive smart. Even if they are smart, there is no reason to be all snobby about it.
Tell me more.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
I'd tailor the words used depending on the type of people being addressed, the simpler the better. Pointless using words they can't comprehend, the message is lost.