Are oil prices going down because of the upcoming election?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

themusgrat

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Tom
Originally posted by: Brovane
Help me understand this one.

When gas prices rise everyone is screaming and blaming the President that he should do more to bring gas prices, as if he has this control over gas prices. Now that gas prices are coming back down everyone is screaming that the President is trying to manipulate the market for the upcoming election.

GB

There is no contradiction there, if anything it's a reaffirmation that consumer markets are being manipulated to an extreme. And a the laissez-faire attitude towards corporations is a contributing factor. The oil companies know that Bush and Republicans are on their side, completely.

They don't have to even think about anyone ever looking into their shens.

On topic, I love quotes like these. Someone asks why people are claiming that Bush influences gas prices for the good of the Repubs, and the immediate reply is that of course he does, there is this huge conspiracy between him and oil companies, and man, is it working out...

I think the only conspiracy is that the oil people want to make money like most people. Maybe they are more greedy. And get a life, stop complaining about good stuff like this. Look at past years, there are trends you might be able to pick up on.

HomeAppraiser

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2005
Now that gas is under $3/gal Bush just needs to declare war on high RAM prices to secure the geek vote!

Edit: $54.40 (per gig) or Fight!

fitzov

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2004
Interesting how you've diverted the discussion from gas prices to oil prices.

(Oh look they're seeing a pattern with the gas prices, quick, lets talk about the oil market)

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: fitzov

(Oh look they're seeing a pattern with the gas prices, quick, lets talk about the oil market)

Youre right, Fitzov. They are completely unrelated. :confused:

fitzov

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2004
Originally posted by: blackangst1

Are you talking about everything related to oil?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: blackangst1

Are you talking about everything related to oil?

Yep

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
I dont know if this has been discussed yet but the Oil cos know that Repubs are going to treat them better than Democrats so are they lowering prices to toss them a bone? Maybe, I wouldnt put it by them.

HomeAppraiser

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: HomeAppraiser
Now that gas is under $3/gal Bush just needs to declare war on high RAM prices to secure the geek vote!

I didn't know RAM had gone up again.

I was about to post links of graphs here on AT showing the recent upswing in RAM prices when my computer froze, probably not enough RAM!

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

I was about to post links of graphs here on AT showing the recent upswing in RAM prices when my computer froze, probably not enough RAM!

complain, complain com plain.

Quality RAM used to be well over $40 per MByte

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
While it's naive to think oil and gas companies aren't cutting prices in the wake of midterm elections, just look at how good they've had it under this president, he's basically let these companies rape Americans financially from an energy standpoint, about 5-10 cents/gal of the drop is due to the switch to the winter blend of gas we're getting now.

Republicans like to talk about "underlying reasons" and "following the market". Give me a break, the Bush/Cheney regime has been entrenched in oil most of the last 100 years, the oil companies love to have Bush in office and love him having a GOP house and senate, because GOP leaders don't give a damn about Americans for the most part. When and if you see a Democratic leadership change in this country, you will see real energy responsibility, not this good ole boy attitude of the haves and have-nots.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

I have 2.75 Gig in my box

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Krakn3Dfx
While it's naive to think oil and gas companies aren't cutting prices in the wake of midterm elections, just look at how good they've had it under this president, he's basically let these companies rape Americans financially from an energy standpoint, about 5-10 cents/gal of the drop is due to the switch to the winter blend of gas we're getting now.

Republicans like to talk about "underlying reasons" and "following the market". Give me a break, the Bush/Cheney regime has been entrenched in oil most of the last 100 years, the oil companies love to have Bush in office and love him having a GOP house and senate, because GOP leaders don't give a damn about Americans for the most part. When and if you see a Democratic leadership change in this country, you will see real energy responsibility, not this good ole boy attitude of the haves and have-nots.

Will they continue to drop Gas prices with Oil rising again???

9-27-2006 Oil prices rebound on worries OPEC will cut production

Oil prices rose Wednesday as the market weighed a healthy supply-demand balance against a possible production cut by the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries.

OPEC recently reduced its demand forecast for the remainder of the year because of a decline in consumption in the U.S.

However, some cartel members have insinuated that oil prices below $60 could prompt a production cut, and Eurasia Group energy analyst Greg Priddy said in a research note Tuesday that Saudi Arabia and Kuwait might even make unofficial cuts to their production.
===============
I thought Saudi Arabia & Kuwait were our friends.

Sounds to me that we need to invade those two Countries for their Oil.

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Frackal
The timing of this was interesting to me too. I'm essentially a noob on the intricacies of the energy industry and markets, but I did find it curious. Then I heard Clinton make this comment today:

"[It's interesting that oil prices are coming down so close to the election when they told us they couldn't come down until more and more refineries were built]"

What's even more interesting is how the states more in need of republican support to win (like Ohio) have substantially lower average gas prices (now) compared to the states more likley to win republican support.

And if you REALLY want to get excited, if you look at Bush's approval rating, it follows the graph of inverse-gas-prices almost perfectly. This by far one of the most impressive coincidents in history.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Bunch o crap, who had control of congress and the presidency during our last energy crisis in the mid 1970's? Good old Democrats who did nothing but continue to restrict the ability to pump oil from our own land and force us onto the teet of foreign oil.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
Originally posted by: Frackal
The timing of this was interesting to me too. I'm essentially a noob on the intricacies of the energy industry and markets, but I did find it curious. Then I heard Clinton make this comment today:

"[It's interesting that oil prices are coming down so close to the election when they told us they couldn't come down until more and more refineries were built]"

What's even more interesting is how the states more in need of republican support to win (like Ohio) have substantially lower average gas prices (now) compared to the states more likley to win republican support.

And if you REALLY want to get excited, if you look at Bush's approval rating, it follows the graph of inverse-gas-prices almost perfectly. This by far one of the most impressive coincidents in history.

How is it a coincidence that a commodity everybody uses goes down in price and the presidents approval goes up?

It is logical to think people feel better about their finances they think less it is the administation that is doing them wrong.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Blah blah blah and the Gore family's oil company dumped the toxic waste at Love Canal.

Nothing is more naive than a partisan fanboi...

randym431

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2003
I STRONGLY suggest everyone listen to the Al Franken mp3 audio from his show on 9/25. He played the speech from Senator Barack Obama on our oil addiction. How Bush finally acknowledged it, but he has done NOTHING about it. And that there are 11 further steps in the addiction help process after the first step, acknowledgment.

And Obama also talks, played on Al's 9/25 show, on the layoffs from the US auto makers and how they are still putting out these gas hogs while Japan has switched to fuel efficiency cars.

Its a great speech EVERYONE needs to listen too.
AND, you wont hear it on Fox, naturally.

Franken Show

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by: randym431
I STRONGLY suggest everyone listen to the Al Franken mp3 audio from his show on 9/25. He played the speech from Senator Barack Obama on our oil addiction. How Bush finally acknowledged it, but he has done NOTHING about it. And that there are 11 further steps in the addiction help process after the first step, acknowledgment.

And Obama also talks, played on Al's 9/25 show, on the layoffs from the US auto makers and how they are still putting out these gas hogs while Japan has switched to fuel efficiency cars.

Franken Show

Holy S, you mean we're addicted to oil? That's a revelation.

on a side note, you're b1tching about Fox and then post a link to Air America and Al Franken?

randym431

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2003
Keep your head up you're A**, I dont care...

Senator Barack Obama's speech is the point here. If you can hear it on fox, then catch it there.... (good luck!)

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: randym431

Franken Show

They put out the "gas hogs" because American's choose to buy them. Hey, look, there's a new word for you - "choose".