Are my PSU/mobo finished?

tickyour

Dec 14, 2004
Hello,

For the last couple of weeks, my computer has been plagues by many many BSOD's, especialy during stress times, like gaming. It would ussualy go BSOD after 5-20 minutes into gaming.
This past week, the PC, suddenly shut itself off. I thought it might be another BSOD, but Windows would not boot. It would come up to the Windows logo and restart itself. Later the situation got progressivelyu worse, until it would not even boot to the post-screen. I turn it on, the screen would remain black.

SO I opened it up today, I took out the CPU, I placed it in another computer, and it works just fine. Then I wanted to switch the PSU and I found this:

Picture 1
Picture 2

Now I figure that the mobo & psu are done, or does anyone think otherwise?

My specs "were":
AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Epox 8rda+
Thermaltake Silent PurePower, 420W
2x512mb Mushkin 3200
BFG Geforce 6800oc
200GB Seagate
40GB Maxtor
Audigy 2 ZS
NEC 3520 DVD-RW

I can't quite think why this has happened, was the PSU inadequate, or is this a fault of the motherboard?

montag451

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Doesn't look good, does it?

I am the mobo works at all.

Depends on how much time/money you have.
Might want to get another Epox 8rda+ and use your burnt one for spares/testing. this would save having to reinstall OS etc.

Or,
if you have the time, patience and an ultra steady hand:
snip the plastic casing around the burnt pins, cover up the surrounding area of mobo with cardboard/non-static material.
With a HOT sharp disposable knife try and melt the plastic onto the knife. Or
use a plastic solvent [like petrol] - dab it on to some cloth, then use the cloth to wipe the pins - gently.
MAKING SURE NONE GETS ON MOBO, cos that will dissolve as well.

Please let us know how you get on.
Ah yeah, think you might want to get another psu as well ;-}
try something like a fortron or tagan480

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
looks like ps had a wild hair would be my first thought. Epox boards are kinda...well how do I put it..not the pick of the litter.

montags hand is steadier then mine I think I would try and just clean pins as they sit without melting anything and try a new ps and see what happens.

montag451

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Hi Daniel,
yeah- the problem with cleaning them is that, [if that gunk is melted/burned plastic], there is no way i can think of to clean that stuff off a fragile little piece of metal without melting the plastic somehow.