Are men and women equal

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Since men and women tend to have different skill sets and like different things, it makes sense to think that each would be better suited for certain contexts. Since no generalization holds true for individuals (instead of groups), you can't use generalizations to make decisions about individuals -- IE, you can't use the gender to determine if someone is good at something.

<< When the world is lead by women, it will be a much better place. >>

I've seen this statement many times, and it's just as idiotic each time I see it. Women have flaws just like men do. When it comes to world politics and societal decisions, flaws tend to get magnified. There have been great female and male leaders and a great leader is a great leader, man or woman.

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
We are not equal IMHO but we are balanced. There are things that men are better at on average and things women are better at on average.

In terms of physical strength and speed men excel and are 'superior to women'.
In terms of flexibility, and gymnastical ability women are 'superior', I also feel women are stronger emotionally in general.
Of couse this is just in general, there are certainly some women that are extemely strong physically, and some men that excel in areas in which women are generally dominant.

There are different areas in which women and men excel in but overall I believe the genders are balanced and neither is the better gender.

Also, some individuals are more capable and have more abilities then other but that varies on an individual basis and is totally unrelated to the abilities of the gender.

MrHelpful

Banned
Apr 16, 2001
<< When the world is lead by women, it will be a much better place. >>

Probably. We'd have proper tenses at least. :)

GoldenTiger

Banned
Jan 14, 2001

<< Ummmm... no, the sexes are not equal. a simple look at a biology book will demonstrate that to you. The equality you speak of women enjoying with men, is in the arena of rights and worth in the eyes of our Creator - it's not saying that men and women are equal in perceptions or ways of thinking, because that's obviously not the case ;) >>

Yep, and physically, men are almost always stronger and more agile than women.

GoldenTiger

Banned
Jan 14, 2001

<< As stated before, equality is not based on your sex, more on your abilities and accomplishments. To judge anyone on any other basis is just wrong.

Electric Amish: One thing in which they are not equal is in physical strength. Men can become much stronger than women.

A quick kick to the gonads can bring a man down to a woman's level real fast though. :Q :p
>>

... Um, if someone were going into a fight they knew was coming they would wear a cup... or just protect that area a bit more. It's not as easy to kick the area as you'd think... you put your leg up, man grabs it and flips you over ;).

GoldenTiger

Banned
Jan 14, 2001

<< <<Men and Women are all equal in Gods's eyes>>

I've heard that statement often, but still fail to see the relevance of it.
>>

Me too... we don't even know a God exists. BTW it would be in &quot;God's&quot; eyes... not Gods's lol.

GoldenTiger

Banned
Jan 14, 2001

<< Very different, but equal. Although women can be bigger pains in the arse. >>

They probably think that about us, though... although they probably think we're just weird ;).

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001

<<

<< men were naturally created to take the lead >>

Yeah, lead us to war... rape... abuse... exploitation

Men and Women are all equal in Gods's eyes, it is in our eyes that we see inequality. We may have differences, but they are important differences. We are equally important in life. One is not 'more equal' or better than the other. Some individuals are more capable than others, but that transends gender.

I always think of Animal Farm and shudder.
>>

I apologize if this has been answered to already (didn't read the whole thread), but I would like to give a response.

Men do not equal war/rape/abuse/exploitation. I take offense to that. Women are just as capable of these curel (sp?) acts as men are. These stereotypes are bad, just as many stereotypes about women are bad. I wish people would move past these.

Now, I realized that you were provoked. What Arkitech said was also completly, in my opinion, wrong to say the least. I don't know what he is smoking. But I just couldn't let your statement slide.

I hope you don't take offense to me saying that.

Peace.

Phunktion

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2001
I'd have to say women definitely have the upper hand.. they can manipulate me so easily.. I love women :D

GoldenTiger

Banned
Jan 14, 2001

<< note that god made eve from adam's rib, not from his foot to be below or head to be above...[/b] If he wanted it &quot;equal&quot; wouldn't he have made her from the same thing he made adam from, rather than making her out of a mere part of adam? I don't believe in any of that, but I'm just saying if you were interpreting it, there isn't any real way to...

wQuay

Nov 19, 2000
&quot;God created Eve from Adam's rib. Not from his feet to be beneath him. Not from his head to be above him. But from his side to be beside him.&quot;

I like that :)

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Oh, the horror!

Not only did I make a typo that the mighty GoldenTiger pointed out, but I offended datalink when I spoke in defense of myself and 50% of the population! Why, I think I've just been gangflamed!

Really boys. Anytime I am even remotely less than sweet and accomodating, you jump all over me. I'm sorry, I forgot to be weak.

Wendy has left the nursery.

:p

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
<<Women are smarter, more attractive and smell better.>>

Russ has, as usual, hit the nail on the head. :)

On a more serious note, I agree with Rand when he said that men and women are not equal, but rather we are balanced. Life would be very boring if everyone were literally all equal in every way. I'm quite happy that women are different, if they acted in the same manner as the guys on my dorm floor I sure as hell wouldn't want anything to do with them. Personally I think that focusing on the differences is a fatal flaw of modern thinking. The emphasis needs to be on the common traits shared by all humans. Emphasizing differences only exacerbates any existing hostility on both sides.

Zenmervolt

Peetoeng

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2000

<< No, men and women are not equal.

Women are smarter, more attractive and smell better.

Russ, NCNE
>>

I thank God everyday that they are; so I have something to look for after looking at a slob in the mirror every morning!

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Datalink, the first part of my original post was meant in sarcasm. I thought that was obvious by the rest of the post... I very clearly stated that it is an individual thing, not a gender thing. I'm not mad at you, I just thought you knew me well enough to know I was being sarcastic/giving tit for tat. I don't want to have to sugar coat every darn thing I say... I can be just as caustic as the rest of you when I feel it is deserved, and obviously the originator of this post was asking for it. I've got 3000-some-odd posts that more than prove my views are quite moderate and peaceful.

If you guys want to have a boy-girl war, fine. I have other more pressing considerations.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Isla:

I did not catch your sarcasm, and I apologize for that. I should be more observant, and do know you better. My bad. Sorry.

It is just that I have heard that (your sarcastic statement) a lot, from people who DO believe it. I tire of this &quot;men vs women&quot; thing that is going on.

Please accept my apology.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
I am so thankful men and women are not equal. We have different plumbing and that suits me fine.Other than that,all women are as equal as God will allow them to be.

Russ's eloquent understatement is appropriate for my feelings as well.;)

Give em hell,Isla. You go,girl.:D