Are medical/bio career path the only hope for a decent job with a good pay?

nanyangview

Banned
Jun 11, 2002
I am just wondering if that is true. As nowadays everything seems to be oriented towards biology/medical stuff..computer engineers and science guys used to rule the job market, now their jobs are leaving the country in boatloads to far away lands. Everyone and everywhere talks about medical and biology, it seems to be the rage now.

are there anymore hope left for other majors such as business and marketing or other majors? I mean can you still at least get a decent job with a pay that you can live on (NOT MCDONALD or Bestbuy/FUtureshop type of hourly pay)? What i mean decent is that you have your own place, able to support your parents and not go hungry or into big debt?

Well since i am hopeless with girls, I guess living by myself for the rest of my life will not incur too much expenses right (spending $$ on GF, wife, kids etc) ? I am not a big spender, i wear cheap clothes (think Wallmart), ocassionaly eat some good Japanese food. The only area i spent a reasonable amount of money is on computers.

Sign.. who knows what my future will lead to, maybe I will end up in poverty on the street or live a one roomed apartment. Seeing that lots of my friends have gone to the life science route in university, maybe in the future i'll have to beg from them for food :(

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Yea, if you want a guaranteed job, this is pretty much the field to be in :)

SSibalNom

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2003
onward to grad school! get your JD and the money will come.... at least I'm hoping so :confused:
but you'll make your own hours, set your own wages, how much you make is up to you, and if your in the bottom average your still at 6 fig's, at least in socal

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Actually I know tons of people with no college degrees that got real estate licenses and are dumb as hell and pull in 75-100k a year...

SSibalNom

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2003
yea real estate doesn't require much, a lot of em are realtors + appraisers, appraisers charge a few hundred for less than an hours work, depending on the property size, and when ur doin both jobs its a good combination

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: SSibalNom
yea real estate doesn't require much, a lot of em are realtors + appraisers, appraisers charge a few hundred for less than an hours work, depending on the property size, and when ur doin both jobs its a good combination

Plus it's valuable because one of the true do it yourself ways to be wealthy is to invest properly in real estate. It's nice to have that knowledge already...

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Employers will constantly lower their costs so fewer people will be able to afford health care. This means that there are going to be fewer and lower paying health care related jobs.

You might want to consider other jobs, plumber, carpenter, etc that can not be exported overseas.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
if there's one thing i've learned in my time spent at college, it's that successful people have often had unpredictable career paths.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Here is a good field, become a Physician's Assistant. You don't need a bio degree, probably a minor in it, and then you gotta go for 2 more years of school to become a PA. Then you have a nice paying (not boat loads) job.

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Orsorum
CPA + law degree + DBA

:heart:

Cheers!
Nate

DBA as in a doctorate in business? sounds like a LOT of school just to get a "decent" job.

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
here's a radical idea: do what you enjoy doing and you'll be happy; good pay is a bonus.

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Spamela
here's a radical idea: do what you enjoy doing and you'll be happy; good pay is a bonus.

yeah.. real radical.. too bad no one pays well for sitting at home and watching tv.

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Hector13

yeah.. real radical.. to bad no one pays well for sitting at home and watching tv.

haha.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
CPA + law degree + DBA

Cheers!
Nate

DBA as in a doctorate in business? sounds like a LOT of school just to get a "decent" job.

The DBA's for kicks and not really a goal at this point, more something to consider coming back for for fun.

Cheers!
Nate

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
CPA + law degree + DBA

Cheers!
Nate

The DBA's for kicks and not really a goal at this point, more something to consider coming back for for fun.

Cheers!
Nate

i don't know if i'd consider 5 more years of school as something "for fun"... but I guess if you can make enough money (ie, many, many millions) that you don't care about the huge costs of not working for 5 years.. then maybe it is something to consider.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

i don't know if i'd consider 5 more years of school as something "for fun"... but I guess if you can make enough money (ie, many, many millions) that you don't care about the huge costs of not working for 5 years.. then maybe it is something to consider.

Well, finally someone gets the humor and goals implicit in my educational goals. :p

Shalom!
Nate

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000

yeah.. real radical.. too bad no one pays well for sitting at home and watching tv.

add self-abuse & you have yourself a real lifestyle.

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001

Yeah, because most girls are looking for guys who have jobs that make the guys happy even if the salary is crap...because girls are just selfless like that.

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000

add self-abuse & you have yourself a real lifestyle.

sadly, I don't think that pays too well either.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: MindStorm

Yeah, because most girls are looking for guys who have jobs that make the guys happy even if the salary is crap...because girls are just selfless like that.

Hey, it worked in Office Space!

Cheers!
Nate

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MindStorm

You'd be surprised at how many girls I know that dont care about money like that.