Are HP z220 CPU's proprietary?

davidstvz

Jul 18, 2013
I was recently dismayed to find that 4 HP z220 workstations I bought have a proprietary motherboard and power supply. Not only can you not use off the shelf parts to upgrade the PSU.... HP doesn't even make anything better than a 400 Watt PSU for this thing. Anyway, I definitely need more power since we're installing dual GTX 660's for graphics work.

My current plan is to simply buy a 3rd party case, mobo (already have the PSU's and GPU's) and combine them with the CPU, memory, drives/SSD from the HP's. Then take the HP chassis and downgrade them to basic machines for word processing and Internet. When I'm done I'll have 8 PC's instead of 4 which is fine.

My only question is the CPU. I'm not sure if those are off the shelf parts or not. I hope so as the CPU's I got with the z220's are fairly meaty and I'd definitely like to rescue them.

This is the CPU in the machines. HP Part No.: B1R48AV

Description: Processor - Intel® Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz (up to 3.9 GHz)
8MB HT 4C 77W GT2 CPU

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
No problem. It's just an OEM 3770. Pair with good Z77 mobo. Ditto the other stuff mentioned.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Yup, just buy any motherboard which supports Ivy Bridge processors.

This also gives you the option of reusing the mobo and chassis for some bargain basement machines- put a Sandy Bridge Celeron or Pentium into that motherboard, and it will make a perfectly decent office worker/receptionist's PC.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
You you're going to reuse the old HP motherboards? What CPU are you planning on installing? And... are you sure the bios will accept it?

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
You you're going to reuse the old HP motherboards? What CPU are you planning on installing? And... are you sure the bios will accept it?

+1. But it should be easy to find this out because the Z220 are HP business machines and not the consumer c**p HP put their name to.

Here's the hardware manual:
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03678225/c03678225.pdf
Then it should just be a matter of seeing what other CPUs HP ship your Z220 with and that CPU should be compatible.

Having said that, a 400W PSU should be plenty for a single GTX660. Not sure what you are intending to run which actually needs two of them though. Surely any workstation software would also require Quadro drivers?