Are hiking shoes necessary ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I climbed Mt. Baker last month and did the non-glacier stuff with my running shoes. The way up was great, they're really light so they made the climb easy. The way back down was a bit hairy though as I had to go slower than the guys with hiking boots because I didn't have any ankle support.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
if youre going to hike, WEAR HIKING BOOTS. ive done 6 weeks straight in the wild, and ive seen other peoples feet get f'ed up because they lacked proper gear (hiking boots, thick hiking socks, SOCK LINERS).

your feet are valuable. protect them well

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Vich
Going to Hike Mt. Washington in New Hampshire in about a week. Taking a moderate difficulty trail. I was looking @ EMS and shoes are all very expensive. What are your opinions on using regular nike running shoes? I do plan on getting the required clothing so that I will be comfortable in various conditions, but my biggest question is about hiking shoes. I dont hike often to begin with.

I've climbed Mt. Washington 7 times now. I usually wear sneakers, it's not a bad hike this time of year. Now if it's October you better wear boots.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: LS20
if youre going to hike, WEAR HIKING BOOTS. ive done 6 weeks straight in the wild, and ive seen other peoples feet get f'ed up because they lacked proper gear (hiking boots, thick hiking socks, SOCK LINERS).

I think people overreact. My friend buys all kinds of crap when we travel, he overprepares. He bought new boots, a backpack and a fancy walking stick to climb Mt. Washington. The pansy couldn't make it up either day while I made it up both days.

I say one should simply man up.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

I think people overreact. My friend buys all kinds of crap when we travel, he overprepares. He bought new boots, a backpack and a fancy walking stick to climb Mt. Washington. The pansy couldn't make it up either day while I made it up both days.

You do know the weather conditions yesterday and today were sleet and 70+ mph winds up there?

PINKHAM NOTCH, N.H.
Mountain bike race canceled
Sleet, frost, 72-mile-per-hour gusts, and temperatures hovering around freezing yesterday morning forced organizers to cancel a bike race up New Hampshire's tallest mountain. Organizers said they considered postponing the 35th annual Mount Washington Auto Road Bicycle Hill until tomorrow, but weather conditions weren't expected to be much better. Cyclists came had come from all over New England and as far away as the West Coast for a chance to climb the 7.6 miles to the summit. A road race in July was also canceled due to the weather. (AP)

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
I went hiking in leather work boots.

They were actually fairly comfortable for 3 days of hiking mountain trails (well broken in Red Wing boots). However, over this time I developed blisters on one foot and changed my gait so as not to agitate the blisters - It wasn't really an akward stride or anything, but something about it was bad for my ankle/calf. I could barely walk for a week, and it was sore for at least a month.

I'd hike in them again, but if I do I will pay more attention to the socks I wear.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

You do know the weather conditions yesterday and today were sleet and 70+ mph winds up there?

PINKHAM NOTCH, N.H.
Mountain bike race canceled
Sleet, frost, 72-mile-per-hour gusts, and temperatures hovering around freezing yesterday morning forced organizers to cancel a bike race up New Hampshire's tallest mountain. Organizers said they considered postponing the 35th annual Mount Washington Auto Road Bicycle Hill until tomorrow, but weather conditions weren't expected to be much better. Cyclists came had come from all over New England and as far away as the West Coast for a chance to climb the 7.6 miles to the summit. A road race in July was also canceled due to the weather. (AP)

Yeah, weather like that isn't uncommon on Mt. Washington. I've climbed in 85 mph winds, and I just climbed it through snow last November when it was 9 degrees with 50 mph winds. That time I wore boots, though. (come to think of it, I've climbed it 8 times, not 7).

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002

"both days" is a far cry from a week+ long hiking trip. take weather into account. wearing cross-trainers is okay for long trek.. but if you run into rivers / streams / slush / fluids... its not going to be pretty. real leather boots are more impermeable... walk multiple miles with soggy feet and theyre going to be fcked up