Are heatsinks getting too big and heavy?

ultra laser

Banned
Jul 2, 2007
I'm considering upgrading to the intel Core 2 platform, and like most of you, overclocking is something I find very appealing. However, the size of current-day heatsinks has me a bit worried. The solutions that offer the best cooling are also the largest and heaviest on the market, with products such as the thermalright ultra 120 and tuniq tower weighing in a kilogram with a fan. As both of these coolers are way over the weight limit specified by intel, just how safe are they to use? I imagine that a back plate pulling against my motherboard with that kind of weight couldn't be good for it. What are the long-term consequences of using such a hefty cooler?

If you have any experience with such coolers, I would very much appreciate your input on the matter. Thanks.

nullpointerus

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2003
I can't answer your questions, but I do know that some people use wire ties to provide additional support.

If things get much worse, I imagine that enthusiasts would rather HSF's ship with support-wire case mods than sacrifice cooling potential. :D

eklipze

Jun 30, 2007
Most people who have heavy heatsinks don't really stand their computer. they let them lie flat on the ground and most don't even have a case. its probably a workstation setup or just the motherboard sitting on their table.

StopSign

Dec 15, 2006
The motherboard is a lot tougher than you think. It's not going to snap.

And also, I highly doubt most people with big heatsinks have their systems lying on the side. Most people still have standing cases.

dandragonrage

Jun 6, 2004
Just don't ship your computer out with I.E. UPS with such a thing attached. For normal use it will be fine. If you bring it to LAN parties, it will be fine if you're careful. Just don't drop it and don't hit any major potholes driving it over...

Nathelion

Jan 30, 2006
I wonder. Maybe high-end motherboards will start coming with steel reinforcements or something to hold the heavier heatsinks soon.

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006
well if it has a backplate and you know assuming the motherboard's completely screwed into the tray, i wouldn't expect any problems unless the computer was being jolted a lot (say, by kicking perhaps? i, of course, would never ever do that to a computer...>_> <_< >_>).

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Really, though i don't like the fact that the best coolers weigh a kilogram, they aren't too heavy.

I run a TR Ultra 120 eXtreme & a TT Big Typhoon, & the only thing i'd say you'd need to worry about is if you go to LANs alot or move your PC around alot, then no, they aren't ideal coolers.

For moving around for LANs, just lie the case on the it's side so there's no extra downwards pressure on the motherboard.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I do worry about the ever-increasing size/weight of today's heat sinks. But since it is a user's choice, it's up to the individual and her/his comfort level and usage, I guess. Also to be considered is that some boards are made stronger (6 layer PCB?) than others (4 layer PCB), so a board's physical shape matters, as well as the placement of the sockets. I managed to crack a P5W-DH with Ultra-120 last year but it was kinda my fault because I used a very heavy 38mm fan with it (and HR-05 for the NB :D ).

Do note that these heavy-weight heat sinks certainly bends motherboards. You can easily tell it by your eyes.