Are hard drive prices coming back down to normal levels?

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by DrewSG3, Nov 5, 2012.

1. DrewSG3

DrewSG3 Senior member

I remember after the tsunami, hard drive prices shot up because of the shortage. Amazon has a 3TB WD green drive for $139

A good deal? Its only for Blu-ray movie storage

2. Elixer

Elixer Diamond Member

3. CNelsonPSU

CNelsonPSU Member

4. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

When were they high priced ? Their dirt cheap for about 2 years or so now, thx to SSD.

Remember there was a time if you had a 250GB hard drive you were the king of the block.

5. dave_the_nerd

Okay, I call shens.

6. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

Define normal. A 3TB Barracuda can be snagged for $120 which amounts to $0.04/GB...yes, that is 4 cents per GB. I never recall a 100GB hdd costing $4 or a 500GB having a price tag of $20, or a 1TB at $40...do you? I'd say we have a new and very much improved normal.

7. unitron

unitron Junior Member

Back just before the flood you could snag sales of 1TBs for about $50 and 2TBs for around $80.

8. Eeqmcsq

Eeqmcsq Senior member

To answer the question in general, HDD prices appear to be inching down. A couple of 2TB HDDs dropped to the $100 mark a few weeks ago. Still a ways to go before they return to the pre-flood levels.

9. _Rick_

_Rick_ Diamond Member

Prices are coming down, but appear to be still slightly elevated compared to summer of 2011.
    skinflint.co.uk keeps tabs on price developments (from the cheapest offer in the EU), that helps with tracking the price development.
    3TB disks are at times below the before-flood level, 2TB disks mostly still slightly above.

10. CryHavoc

CryHavoc Senior member

Nah, go back further..

If you had a full height 5 1/4" 80MB maxstor scsi drive you were the man
    or if your home computer, playing hobbit or zork, had 512k mem and a seagate st-225 running off a western digital mfm controller, you were the envy of all the guys at the local Nibbles and Bytes store.

lol

[​IMG]

11. LOL_Wut_Axel

LOL_Wut_Axel Diamond Member

Prices are crap. Just over a year ago we had 2TB drives at $80 on sale frequently. If anything, that should be the price of 3TB drives now.

12. zCypher

zCypher Diamond Member

When I bought my 1TB Blacks they were $89-99. I just bought a couple 3TB Greens at $129 each. Not too bad. I don't recall ever seeing good 2TB drives under $100 but I honestly didn't look much after grabbing my Blacks back then.

13. Anonemous

Anonemous Diamond Member

3TB drives external and what not were selling around ~100-110 before the flood. Even cheaper if you got a slickdeal.

14. fleshconsumed

fleshconsumed Diamond Member

Worse than that actually. $80-90 was regular price. And if you watched slickdeals you could get 2TB for $60 after rebate. Current prices are still nowhere near that level.

15. hal2kilo

hal2kilo Diamond Member

I remember thinking Wow, I can get a 40 Meg ST225 for under $250!

Remember things like low level formatting.

Memories.

16. CryHavoc

CryHavoc Senior member

I absolutely hated entering in the bad track map..unless the drive had 10 or less. Talk about monotony!!

Remember these debug codes?

G=C800:5 for WD controllers
    or
    G=C800:FFF for adaptec

lol

17. fffblackmage

fffblackmage Platinum Member

Isn't it almost two years now? Back then, I remember buying two Seagate 1TB drives for $40 each, I think. I got five 2TB HDDs for $80 each and one 2TB for $60. I can't believe prices still haven't dropped back down to that level yet. Of course, I haven't bought a single HDD since then, and I'm still waiting so I can upgrade my NAS.

18. fleshconsumed

fleshconsumed Diamond Member

No, it's only been a year now. And I'm also in the same boat as you are. I have file server that I need to upgrade, but with the hard drive prices as they are right now it will cost a small fortune, so I'm holding out as long as I can. Spending a load of money only to run out of space in a year does not seem like a worthwhile endeavor to me.

19. cboath

cboath Senior member

Oh, please, you had it easy... :)

I can remember when 5 1/4" floppy drives were over 200 bucks. :)

(And i walked to school in the snow, uphill, both ways :) )

I've seen an 8" floppy, but THAT was before my time. There was a computer store that used to be in town that had a 20MB hard drive in a glass case. This thing was about 12" long, 8" wide, and 6" tall as I recall. It was huge. It made MFM drives look tiny.

20. Jman13

Jman13 Senior member

I just paid $99 for my new 2TB drive. I wanted a 3, but I'll be adding another HD in the next year, so I figured I'd wait on the 3 and just get that later when they've dropped a bit.

The first HD I ever had was 80MB, and I remember when we upgraded to a 250MB drive and we thought that was awesome. My friend had a 750MB drive and I remember chastising him, asking "how are you ever going to fill that up?"

The first computer I ever owned all on my own had a 2GB drive, and I purchased a second 6GB drive a year later, and I think I paid close to $200 for it. So, yeah, storage is a little cheaper now.

#20 Jman13, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  21. glugglug

glugglug Diamond Member

I bought several 2TB green drives 3-4 years ago in the $69-$79 range. Yes, $69 for 2TB. We have a LONG way to go before the prices are un-gauged.

22. It's Not Lupus

It's Not Lupus Senior member

They all seems about at least $20 higher.

23. BladeVenom

BladeVenom Lifer

Just for the record, 25 July 2011, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Thailand_floods

I still can't find hard drives as cheap as I was buying them for a year and a half ago.

Normally after that amount of time, you would be able to get twice as much for the same price. Now you can't even equal year and a half old prices.

24. taltamir

taltamir Lifer

there have been other causes too. Companies selling off their HDD divisions and leaving the market and rising cost of components due to global economic downturn also greatly contribute to the elevated HDD prices. In addition to the disasterous thailand floods of 2011

25. tynopik

tynopik Diamond Member

well, black friday had 3TB drives for $90 which was better than anything before