Are flip-flops really needed when showing in dorms?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: WisMan
i never used flip flops and the last time i checked i didnt have anything growing on my feet.

That's because everyone else wears flipflops :p You still got piss and jism all over your feet

bwatson283

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2006
Hello erveryone! New to the forums, but been using the site for reviews before buying things.....Love this site.

I wouldnt be caught dead in the bathrooms at the dorm when i was in college without flops......Crazy s*** happens in there.....I was one of the ones that caused the bad things, but I wasnt the worst.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: joshsquall
I never wore them, and I never had a problem. You do realize that while wearing the sandals, you'll track the gunk from the shower back into your room, where you more than likely walk barefoot?

Not likely. That stuff needs a warm, wet place, like the seldom-cleaned but often-used showers of a typical dorm. Your room, where it's cool and dry, is not a good environment. That's why these things normally attach to your feet and not your elbow or something.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: bwatson283
Hello erveryone! New to the forums, but been using the site for reviews before buying things.....Love this site.

I wouldnt be caught dead in the bathrooms at the dorm when i was in college without flops......Crazy s*** happens in there.....I was one of the ones that caused the bad things, but I wasnt the worst.

Welcome to the forums, congratulations on a semi-productive post

pcnerd37

Sep 20, 2004
Im glad you started this topic as I am about to go off to college and had completely forgotten about this fact. Now i need to make another trip to walmart.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: eLiu
YES.

I've seen/heard of people fvck, puke, piss, jizz, and bleed (injury & girl-style) in our showers (co-ed dorm). There's no way in hell I would walk barefoot on that ******.

someone took a dump in one of the showers in my dorm. it was pretty foul.

Blazin Trav

Banned
Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by: fisher
YES.

I've seen/heard of people fvck, puke, piss, jizz, and bleed (injury & girl-style) in our showers (co-ed dorm). There's no way in hell I would walk barefoot on that ******.

Whoa I think that's a little too much sharing there buddy.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Blazin Trav
Originally posted by: fisher
YES.

Whoa I think that's a little too much sharing there buddy.

uh. that's worse than everything else listed in this thread...?

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Dude, flip-fops/shower shoes are fvcking cheap. There is hardly a good argument against them..considering how cheap they are.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: fallenangel99
Yeah, you do. People like me sometimes piss in the showers :)

OMG, Nooooo!!!!!

Urine is sterile unless you've got a bladder infection.
And in any case, the showers are in a perpetual state of being cleaned. In the dorm I was in, at least half of the people there walked the halls barefoot, as well as into the bathrooms.

Other thing - ok, you're wearing flip-flops. How are you going to avoid the inevitable times when your foot slips off of them? How are you going to eliminate splattering caused by every single drop of water hitting the possibly-infected floor? Are you going to touch the knobs to turn on the water? Are you going to touch the door to get in?

don't forget vomit. In my freshman year it seemed like every friday night someone puked in one of the showers. That was the worst because it would sit in there all weekend until the cleaning crew came on monday.
At least they used the bathroom where you were. A few times in my dorm they had to get some floor cleaner in because someone was so drunk he could barely stand up, and he'd throw up right in the hallway.

All the bodily excretions aside, fungus and plantar warts (especially plantar warts) are two things you do not want to acquire. Warts may cost you several doctor visits, a lot of pain, and still not clear up until they're good and ready, which could be many years.
Or a single visit to get the thing lasered away. I had one on my foot several years ago. I got two injections of novicaine in my foot, and then I was treated to the smell of my own foot burning. The wart was incinerated completely away.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: HardcoreRobot
no

if theres something in there thats gonna getcha, flip flops wont stop it

That's strange. Every foot doctor and medical professional on the web and in real life disagrees with you.

Type in "athlete's foot" or "toenail fungus" into Google, and damn near every site will strongly advise you to wear flip flops in the shower, and in most public places.

First link on a Google search:

http://www.apma.org/s_apma/doc.asp?CID=146&DID=9386

FIRST TIP:

*Avoid walking barefoot; use shower shoes.

And every link after that advises the same thing.

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Kyle
Originally posted by: fallenangel99
Yeah, you do. People like me sometimes piss in the showers :)

eh, urine is sterile...i'd be more worried about athletes foot and such...it wont kill you to go a couple days w/out, but def. pick up a pair eventually

ive never worn flip flops or out like that. ive been a competitive swimmer for over 10 year, spending alot of time in the pool, always barefoot walking round the poolside (except before races and warmup). even lifeguarded barefoot

barefooted the showers in the dorms at uni too, though they were cleaned every single day, so i guess that maybe it, and the shower was shared by at most 4 people.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
athlete's foot , aka ringworm when it shows up somewhere else..... when you get it, you'll yell "some of it itches" really loud.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: jadinolf
Originally posted by: WisMan
i never used flip flops and the last time i checked i didnt have anything growing on my feet.

That's because you're blessed.

or he lived in a double/single with a private shower... :)

as everyone has said, get flipflops if you don't want your feet to smell/itch...

Beller0ph1

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2003
Yes. Hands freaking down. I got some nasty warts my sophomore year from the showers. Wear flip flops.

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004
Man I remember when I got athletes foot when I was 8 years old, man did it suck.. I believe it was because of the socks I was wearing when I got sweaty.