Are fans Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) more silent than previous generations?

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
Anybody here has experience with the Dell XPS 9370 (2018) model. It had some redesign with dual fans so wondering if it is more silent and cools better than previous generations? I consider buying an i7 variant.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I don't own it but the reviews indicate it runs a lot cooler (don't know about noise). This allows it to run faster since the cpu is not throttled. However the 9360 had some advantages (i forget what - but i think larger batteries). Btw both the 9370 and 9360 were on sale at MS store - or they were last week when i wandered into one. Something like $1100 for the high reoslution touch screen version with i7.

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
Biggest advantage to the new 9370 is size. It's super small. Closest high performing compact that's nearly as small as the 12" Macbook. But way faster. The Macbook has a better trackpad and speakers though. Everyone complains about the webcam position but I couldn't care less because I never use it, and the reason why it's there is to preserve the super thin bezel around the display which IMO looks outstanding!

The fan is there and becomes audible but not super loud or annoying. It makes more of a whoosh noise than say a whining noise which most will find more pleasant.

As for throttling, all of them will throttle under heavy load. No way to get around this. The Surface Book 2 seems to throttle less but we're talking about a very heavy load like rendering or big video encode projects which ultraportables aren't really designed for. But they can be used in a pinch like when you're away from home
for you main workstation goes down, etc.

The UHD display is also best in class. Easily beats the Yoga 920 and Spectre X360.

The onboard SSD is user replaceable but the RAM and wifi card are both soldered to the board. And like Apple, they seem to be cutting back on ports so you will need dongles. Good news though is the thunderbolt 3.0 is full 40Gbps so you can add fastest external devices, external GPU, etc. My 85W Macbook Pro USB-C adapter and cable charges it fine. The included charger is also USB-C but I wish the cable unplugged from the brick (which is pretty small!) like Apple does because if you break the cable you have to replace the entire adapter.

BTW, the variant I have is the maxed out one, i7 8550-U, 16GB, 1TB SSD, UHD Touch display. Microcenter has them for $1799 which is the best deal currently and it's not an in-store only item.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I have had both the 9350 and the 9360 (still have the 9360 but it is now the wife's). Both great machines, if the 9370 is any better I'm sure it's amazing.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I think ms was selling the 9370 for $1200 with i7 and 256GB SSD. The spectre is a true 2:1 (can fold all the way back); the 9370 cannot so not clear to me it is fair to compare the two.