Are expired inkjet cartridges still safe to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
Ink carts for my printer locally cost $30 for each tri-color set and $20 for each black. A local pawn shop has 3-sets of color 2-sets of black with an expiration date of 04/2010. There offer was all 11 ink carts, still sealed and all for $35.

So is buying expired ink carts a bad thing? I realize the ink may be dried up, but there all still sealed from the manufacturer. Don't want to ruin my print head also.

Thanks.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Printer ink is the biggest scam in the world. There was a AMA on reddit from someone in the industry. Some manufacturers (like HP) actually design their printer head to break down in a certain period. It's disgusting.

Expiration on ink? I'm sure it's another one of their nasty scam.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Ink carts for my printer locally cost $30 for each tri-color set and $20 for each black. A local pawn shop has 3-sets of color 2-sets of black with an expiration date of 04/2010. There offer was all 11 ink carts, still sealed and all for $35.

So is buying expired ink carts a bad thing? I realize the ink may be dried up, but there all still sealed from the manufacturer. Don't want to ruin my print head also.

Thanks.

err, there are many online oem ink cartridge sellers.

this is canadian so american sites will be cheaper

http://www.123inkcartridges.ca/brother-ink-cartridge/Brother-LC75-Value-Pack.html

those 2010 cartridges are probably dry already. Even sealed.

Last edited:

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Warning that some scumbags (HP) check the date of the carts and refuse to print if they are out of date. They claim they do this because it cuts down on support calls due to out of date ink carts causing problems with the printers.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Warning that some scumbags (HP) check the date of the carts and refuse to print if they are out of date. They claim they do this because it cuts down on support calls due to out of date ink carts causing problems with the printers.

there are ways around it. I think Epson plotter division cartridges are chipped for this purpose.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
cartridges.png

colors.png

expiration.png

courtesy of http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
there are ways around it. I think Epson plotter division cartridges are chipped for this purpose.

Only way I have found for the Business InkJet 1100's is to disconnect the USB cable, power off the printer, backdate the workstation to a date earlier than the expiration, then reconnect, power on, and print something. Then you can correctly date the workstation until the next reboot when you have to go through that entire string of bullshit again. It really pisses me off for a piece equipment I own and am using ink I own. No where in any of the visible sales crap for these printers does it advertise these "features". And if I seem pissed it is because HP used to be known for selling very reliable tank like equipment with very simple drivers not laden with marketing BS the way pretty much all their current crap is set up.

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
It's a Brother printer, not HP. Tried generic ink once, leaked every where, huge ass mess to clean up.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
I used to just buy a new printer when i ran out of ink, now i have a Cannon all in one MPX something that i swear runs dry on its own.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
81n-CISS-CISS-1410-T50-CISS-A725-CISS-CISS-for-Epson-T50-Tx700-Tx800-A725etc-6-Color-Ink-System.jpg

Best solution for me. ;)

Yes they do expire on purpose. So you have to spend money on their expensive cartridges with barely enough ink in them to begin with. How do you think they can give the printer for cheap or even free?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

Thanks.

i still have a sealed Hp 45 for my printer that expired in 2004!
(i found it this year while cleaning out my closet.)

i'm down to 20% ink on my printer according to the software.
i'll let u know in about 3months about this ink cart.
(remind me :) )

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Only way I have found for the Business InkJet 1100's is to disconnect the USB cable, power off the printer, backdate the workstation to a date earlier than the expiration, then reconnect, power on, and print something. Then you can correctly date the workstation until the next reboot when you have to go through that entire string of bullshit again. It really pisses me off for a piece equipment I own and am using ink I own. No where in any of the visible sales crap for these printers does it advertise these "features". And if I seem pissed it is because HP used to be known for selling very reliable tank like equipment with very simple drivers not laden with marketing BS the way pretty much all their current crap is set up.

I have seen printer cartridge programmer around :whiste:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It's a Brother printer, not HP. Tried generic ink once, leaked every where, huge ass mess to clean up.

There is obviously different quality. I haven't had issues with oem, but then I am on laser.

Status
Not open for further replies.