are DVI - HDMI cables bi-directional?

Jul 10, 2007
Text

i have used this to go from my PC to HDTV successfully.
the question will it work the other way around?
i want to go from my ps3 to a projector (which i don't have so i cannot test). will it work?

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
Yes. You might need a gender converter to do it, but HDMI and DVI are electrically identical, so it should work.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
I spoke with the copper and it told me that it doesn't mind if you make the current flow the other way.

Jul 10, 2007
Originally posted by: PurdueRy
I spoke with the copper and it told me that it doesn't mind if you make the current flow the other way.

ok smart guy.
first of all, electronics aren't always this simple so it was an honest question.
secondly, copper can't hear or talk back.

Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: BlahBlahYouToo

ok smart guy.
first of all, electronics aren't always this simple so it was an honest question.

As far as the cable itself is concerned you can switch ends, it's just a cable. The specs for the device OTOH might not allow that, but thats a device issue not a cable issue. The question you posed is if you change which end of the cable is connected to the input does it still work. The answer will always be yes if its *just* the cable you are switching. I can take any electrical cable put the proper ends on it and it will work (look at Cat V and all the uses it has from networking, to speaker cable).

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Text

i have used this to go from my PC to HDTV successfully.
the question will it work the other way around?
i want to go from my ps3 to a projector (which i don't have so i cannot test). will it work?

I would say probably not.

The PS3 requires HDCP before it uses HDMI for anything. If such projector has just a dvi input, I would look into whether it supports HDCP or not. If no, then the setup will not work.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus

ok smart guy.

As far as the cable itself is concerned you can switch ends, it's just a cable. The specs for the device OTOH might not allow that, but thats a device issue not a cable issue. The question you posed is if you change which end of the cable is connected to the input does it still work. The answer will always be yes if its *just* the cable you are switching. I can take any electrical cable put the proper ends on it and it will work (look at Cat V and all the uses it has from networking, to speaker cable).

Glad someone got it ;)

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007

ok smart guy.

Yes it can talk back and hear you !
Or so the fans of monster branded cable claim.
The cult of Monster cables will not be silenced.... or so they say.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
For those interested there is actually two way communication going on when using a hdmi cable.
Its not just a output the signal type of connection , there are two way data lines and a even a channel devoted exclusively to things like enabling a dvd player and hdtv set to communicate about things like remote usage, color selections.

So a dvd remote could control the tv or vice versa.

k9gardner

Jul 6, 2017
Glad someone got it ;)
I know this is a very old thread but it still comes up in searches.
Just wanted to throw in my 2¢ to the smart-alecks who said the copper doesn't care which way the signal flows... tell that to the DP-HDMI cable, which is one-directional. Works with DisplayPort computer output to HDMI monitor input, but doesn't work the other way around.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Just wanted to throw in my 2¢ to the smart-alecks who said the copper doesn't care which way the signal flows... tell that to the DP-HDMI cable, which is one-directional. Works with DisplayPort computer output to HDMI monitor input, but doesn't work the other way around.
Maybe some semiconductors and silicon involved instead of just straight conductors? I never used DisplayPort.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002

Just as the speed of light is constant and the earth is round. Copper doesn't care how it flows. But you can put things to stop it from flowing one direction... diodes.

k9gardner

Jul 6, 2017
Just as the speed of light is constant and the earth is round. Copper doesn't care how it flows. But you can put things to stop it from flowing one direction... diodes.
Don't get me started! The speed of light is not constant over time, and the earth is not round! Be that as it may, my response above was geared toward the people who answer a question about the directionality of conversion technologies by saying that copper doesn't care which direction the current flows. I meant only to point out the flawed logic of that thinking. Clearly it's not just copper involved here. Not everything is bidirectional, for a whole host of possible reasons.

Tones61

May 1, 2018
I agree. Just made a slightly expensive mistake. Laptop HDMI TO Monitor Displayport doesn't work. Didn't read the fine print down the bottom of the product info. Nothing in the main blurb. Pays to research, AND read all the info.