Are demographics changing the "solid south"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
You are arguing that a racist past, which the DNC has also, means the present must be racist. If this is what you believe, then you must also believe the DNC is racist in the present.

Do you believe the DNC is a racist political party?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You are arguing that a racist past, which the DNC has also, means the present must be racist. If this is what you believe, then you must also believe the DNC is racist in the present.

The racists started voting Republican in the 70's & 80's, following the lead of Strom Thurmond, remember?

The y don't speak about it in overtly racist terms anymore, but rather in code. Silent majority, Law & Order, Values, States' Rights, parental rights, and now voter fraud are all call signals & signs they use to identify each other.

Racism is a very "conservative" value in this society, reflecting the way it was for hundreds of years, and the way that Righties often want it to be- everybody in their place, with racial minorities obviously belonging at the bottom of the heap.

And they love tokenism- when they get a "good one", why, they promote him, hold him up as a symbol of their open mindedness, because the "good ones" toe the line, know their place, accede completely to the "conservative values" of white society.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

Keep posting in this thread.
Phokus clearly has shown in reply after reply that the "Southern Strategy" of the Republican party of the 1960's intended to go after racist voters. He has even given you links to a statement where the GOP has apologized for this.

The facts are not in dispute by any reasonable person.

So, keep posting in this thread.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Unless minorities wake up and realize that decades of the DNC doing nothing at all for them is a bad thing...and they stop voting for people who only keep them down.

Yeh, I'm sure that minorities haven't benefited from AA, or the CRA, or the Fair Housing Act. Nor have they benefited from the ability of the DoJ to step in to prevent discriminatory practices in voting & redistricting, either. Nor have minorities benefited from Dems' efforts to better fund schools, police, fire protection & medical care in poorer areas, either. Red state welfare hasn't helped minorities a bit, you'd offer, even though that's where black populations are most concentrated & where racism still lingers as a fact of everyday life-

census_black3_photo1.jpg

The fact that Dems have defended & extended application of such against GOP attempts to push it all back might just be the reason that Minorities generally favor Dems.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
The racists started voting Republican in the 70's & 80's, following the lead of Strom Thurmond, remember?

The y don't speak about it in overtly racist terms anymore, but rather in code. Silent majority, Law & Order, Values, States' Rights, parental rights, and now voter fraud are all call signals & signs they use to identify each other.

Racism is a very "conservative" value in this society, reflecting the way it was for hundreds of years, and the way that Righties often want it to be- everybody in their place, with racial minorities obviously belonging at the bottom of the heap.

And they love tokenism- when they get a "good one", why, they promote him, hold him up as a symbol of their open mindedness, because the "good ones" toe the line, know their place, accede completely to the "conservative values" of white society.

Boy you've bought the whitey righty racist lie hook line and sinker! Sad.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Keep posting in this thread.
Phokus clearly has shown in reply after reply that the "Southern Strategy" of the Republican party of the 1960's intended to go after racist voters. He has even given you links to a statement where the GOP has apologized for this.

The facts are not in dispute by any reasonable person.

So, keep posting in this thread.

Thanks for giving me your permission to post in this thread. Not needed, but if it makes you feel better saying I can, you can repeat it twice in the same post! Oh wait, you did that...

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The fact that Dems have defended & extended application of such against GOP attempts to push it all back might just be the reason that Minorities generally favor Dems.

The dems fought against the civil rights act.

If we look at inner cities, which have been dem controlled for decades, they are horrible areas...so much so that people who manage to leave them actually say they escaped them.

If the dems are so concerned about blacks, why do they ensure so many blacks live in horrible conditions? Many decades should be enough time to make the areas nice, right?

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Thanks for giving me your permission to post in this thread. Not needed, but if it makes you feel better saying I can, you can repeat it twice in the same post! Oh wait, you did that...

Funny how you won't reply after getting owned about lying about my poitn proving you wrong....then you move the goalposts to try to deflect and change to the DNC.

You get proved wrong, and bail out and move on and try to lie about something else, since you got nothing. Your claim was about the GOP, not the DNC. You only changed to the DNC when we proved how ignorant and wrong you really were.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Funny how you won't reply after ...

How did I not reply, stalker? If I did not reply, you could not have quoted me. You seem confused, maybe more coffee is needed to jumpstart your brain today.

Care to answer the question, or are you going to pretend the DNC is not racist? I am simply using the logic against the posters, and the refusals to actually man up and follow their own logic show they do not honestly believe it themselves.

So tell me, if you follow their logic (a racist past means a racist present and having some racist voters means the org is racist), do you also think the DNC is a racist organization?

If you do not, why not?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Yeh, I'm sure that minorities haven't benefited from AA, or the CRA, or the Fair Housing Act. Nor have they benefited from the ability of the DoJ to step in to prevent discriminatory practices in voting & redistricting, either. Nor have minorities benefited from Dems' efforts to better fund schools, police, fire protection & medical care in poorer areas, either. Red state welfare hasn't helped minorities a bit, you'd offer, even though that's where black populations are most concentrated & where racism still lingers as a fact of everyday life-

So let me get this straight. Republicans want to give blacks positions based on their own abilities and work, whereas Democrats want to give the positions based solely on their race. And yet you are claiming Republicans are the racist ones?

Nov 30, 2006
The issue is my generation and the surrounding ones. Believe it or not, we're not as bigoted as our parents on average, even the conservative ones. There are tons of young, socially moderate conservatives who are being completely alienated by the culture wars the right insists on perpetrating. But the right has made the decision to appeal more to the previous generation, to old, rich, flabby fundies and country bumpkins who can barely check their email.

Eventually that generation will die out, and within the next 4 decades I imagine you'll see a significant social shift in the Republican platform.
This.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
How did I not reply, stalker? If I did not reply, you could not have quoted me. You seem confused, maybe more coffee is needed to jumpstart your brain today.

Care to answer the question, or are you going to pretend the DNC is not racist? I am simply using the logic against the posters, and the refusals to actually man up and follow their own logic show they do not honestly believe it themselves.

So tell me, if you follow their logic (a racist past means a racist present and having some racist voters means the org is racist), do you also think the DNC is a racist organization?

If you do not, why not?

Look, I'm sorry you are an ignorant troll who refuses to understand reality and facts. I really am. But this thread is about the GOP and it's "southern strategy". It has been made very clear what this thread is about. Yet you continue to troll on, changing directions every time you get proved wrong. You are once again thread crapping (forum offense, remember?) about off topic stuff.

You claimed that racism in the past is not indicative of present racism. You tried to ignore my proof, claiming it wasn't current enough, LOL. I proved you wrong with the voter suppression efforts which go on to this very day (can't get more current then that!). Oops, another embarrassment for you!

Only then did you bail on that because you got put down and you had no rebuttal to it. So once again with your ignorance and lies exposed, you moved on trying to drag this down with some sort of false equivalency attack, by basically admitting that the GOP is racist, but that is OK since you claim the DNC is too. It's off-topic, and you know it.

You want to claim DNC racism? Start your own thread if you want, and post some real facts in it, but be careful not to troll your own thread and get it locked for trolling (again).

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Look, I'm sorry

Yes, you are.

you are an ignorant troll who refuses to understand reality and facts.

No, I am not.

I really am.

True, you are.

But this thread is about the GOP and it's "southern strategy". It has been made very clear what this thread is about. Yet you continue to troll on, changing directions every time you get proved wrong. You are once again thread crapping (forum offense, remember?) about off topic stuff.

Actually, stalker, you are incorrect. This thread is about:

Failure is your modus operandi.

You claimed that racism in the past is not indicative of present racism. You tried to ignore my proof, claiming it wasn't current enough, LOL. I proved you wrong with the voter suppression efforts which go on to this very day (can't get more current then that!). Oops, another embarrassment for you!

So then, according to you (since you say past behavior forces present behavior) Sen Byrd was a KKK racist until the day he died. Right? Right?

You want to claim DNC racism? Start your own thread if you want, and post some real facts in it, but be careful not to troll your own thread and get it locked for trolling (again).

This thread is about:

The DNC being racist and therefor very appealing to the dem voters is relevant. But you knew that.

So since you say a racist past (which the DNC has) means the present must be racist, then you agree the DNC is racist. Is this your position, if not, then explain your logic a little deeper, since that means it fails.

Last edited:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
cybrsage: the posters in this thread have demonstrated that the Republicans were and ARE using racism to their advantage. They have provided links - which you demanded. You appear to be attempting to turn the table by claiming the Democrats were and ARE a racist party. You have failed to back up this claim. I don't think you need to bother with the past - any twit knows that in the past each of the parties was racist. (Well, except you; you needed proof, though anyone with reasonable intelligence who has spent any amount of time online would recognize the quote as being from wikipedia, and anyone with half a brain who really cared where the quote came from would be able to google it in less time than it took to distract from the conversation with that entire little 4th grade quarreling over posting a link and failure.)

What I/we're asking for is for YOU to back up your claim that the Democrat Party is currently using racist strategies. They've ALREADY backed up their claim that the RNC is using/attempting to use racist strategies.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
The Republicans southern strategy turned the South Republican for 50 years.

I think that people are just deluded in thinking that the Republicans will just be able to etch-a-sketch away the past in any less time.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Hey cybersage, how's that campaign to get me in trouble for 'spreading disinformation' going? I gave it a couple days and i haven't seen a msg in my inbox yet.

Edit: LOLOLOLOLOLOL Totally missed this:

cybrsage: the posters in this thread have demonstrated that the Republicans were and ARE using racism to their advantage. They have provided links - which you demanded. You appear to be attempting to turn the table by claiming the Democrats were and ARE a racist party. You have failed to back up this claim. I don't think you need to bother with the past - any twit knows that in the past each of the parties was racist. (Well, except you; you needed proof, though anyone with reasonable intelligence who has spent any amount of time online would recognize the quote as being from wikipedia, and anyone with half a brain who really cared where the quote came from would be able to google it in less time than it took to distract from the conversation with that entire little 4th grade quarreling over posting a link and failure.)

What I/we're asking for is for YOU to back up your claim that the Democrat Party is currently using racist strategies. They've ALREADY backed up their claim that the RNC is using/attempting to use racist strategies.

BACKFIRE

Last edited:

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
/bunch of lying and trolling snipped for brevity and our mental health

Well, I would say the mods just agreed with everything I said, so once again, you are wrong, and are lying and trolling.

Gee, now isn't that a shock to all of us?

And why bring up Byrd again? Last time you did that you got your thread locked for trolling and got another temp ban. You really are having serious issues it seems.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
And you do realize, the majority of those Democrats opposing Civil Rights were "Southern" Democrats who later went on to be Republicans...

And the Republicans of that era aren't the same politically as today's Republicans? The GOP was quite moderate/liberal up until the late 1960s. The Tea Party & Fundies wouldnt have had an ounce of influence in those days. Goldwater(who as GOP Nominee for President was against the Civil Rights Act) was the turning point of the GOP becoming more conservative. It took more root when Nixon paid lip service to the movement to get votes. And went all out with Reagan.

Bottom line is Northern Republicans became Democrats and Southern Democrats became republicans. Politics had a cataclysmic shift in the 1960s.

Stop with the making sense stuff. You're going to make Cybersage and his ilk cry.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
The dems fought against the civil rights act.

No, "the dems" did not. This is just factually false. Please do not insert misinformation into this thread.

Review the history of the CRA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964

Here was the vote count:

Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7–93%)
Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0–100%)
Northern Democrats: 145–9 (94–6%)
Northern Republicans: 138–24 (85–15%)
The Senate version:
Southern Democrats: 1–20 (5–95%)
Southern Republicans: 0–1 (0–100%)
Northern Democrats: 45–1 (98–2%)
Northern Republicans: 27–5 (84–16%)

Both parties voted in favor of it. The dem party does not have a "racist past." The SOUTH has a racist past, and a racist present. Before the southern strategy, both parties had racists and non-racists, depending on which region they represented. Racism was a sectional issue, not a party issue.

Two things happened in the 1960's. First, because LBJ pushed for the CRA, anti-racism became an official part of the philosophy of the dem party, which in turn alienated many southern democrats. Second, the republicans took advantage of this by aligning themselves with the racists in order to gain southern votes. It's not that the parties switched positions. Before, racism was sectional and not along party lines. Neither party was either racist or anti-racist based on core philosophy. It didn't become a party line issue until these 2 events occurred.

Hence, your entire argument about racist past ---> racist presence falls flat on its face.

- wolf

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

You probably noticed, but I was was successfully using their own failed logic against them...and they ran like cowards from it...while still pretending it worked.

But since you asked, even though you did so in a pretty lame way, I will show you, via an actual lawsuit:

A black researcher and best-selling author has filed a class-action lawsuit against the Democratic National Committee and President Barack Obama, alleging the party has engaged in a systematic policy of racism over the years.
The lawsuit was filed in the United States District Court in Seattle by Reverend Wayne Perryman. Perryman heads up a consulting firm that specializes in fact-finding investigations on behalf of inner-city plaintiffs who are unsuccessful in obtaining representation through law firms and community organizations.
Perryman has also written several books, including a series of children’s storybooks that were the first of their kind to be placed in the National Baseball Hall of Fame Library.
The 46-page brief systematically lists examples illustrating 210 years of racist statements and actions by the Democratic Party. The suit begins with showing how Democratic President Andrew Johnson “carried out the Democrat agenda by attempting to veto other key pieces of Civil Rights legislation that were designed to give and protect the constitutional rights of African Americans.”

The brief did not simply list examples from the time of the Civil War, but went on to list examples of recent administrations including those of Lyndon Johnson and President Obama.

During a conversation with Richard Russell of Georgia, the brief claims Lyndon Johnson said, “These Negroes, they’re getting pretty uppity these days and that’s a problem for us since they got something now that they never had before; the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we’ve got to do something about this, we’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down; not enough to make a difference. For if we don’t move at all, then their allies will line up against us and there will be no way of stopping them…. and there’ll be no way of putting a brake on all sorts of wild legislation. It’ll be Reconstruction all over again.”

The brief also cites Obama’s August bus tour, noting that the President “intentionally and specifically chose to ignore and exclude cities and towns that had high black unemployment.”

Rep. Maxine Waters, a member of the Congressional Black Caucus, agreed with Perryman’s statement saying, “He’s not in any black community.”
http://www.greeleygazette.com/press/?p=11270

The Frederick Douglas Foundation agrees with the lawsuit.

http://www.icontact-archive.com/vYs-Zyo3vj9g_57o0kqV3gG521zwvWdH?w=2

But what about Howard Dean...is he considered the ancient past? Nah, he is the present as well:

During a meeting last month with black Democrats in Washington, D.C., Dean joked during a speech, “You think the Republican National Committee could get this many people of color in a single room? Only if they had the hotel staff in here.”
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x1637094

Ah yes, good old Howard...of course he expects his servants to be black, he is a democrat after all.

Past and present are both accounted for. Of course, everyone keeps pretending Senator Byrd never existed, but we all know this powerful Democrat was a KKK member. We all also know the Civil Rights Act of the 60s (that is modern day stuff no matter how much you want to pretend the 60s came before Mohammed was born) was voted against by the democrats.

Of course, we also only have to look at how the DNC and its voters treat conservative blacks. The horrible slurs thrown at them would make MLK Jr. cry.

So only if we ignore the past, and the present, actions of the DNC can we pretend they are not a racist party.

Done and done. Now I return you all to your crying that the DNC is perfect and Obama is to be worshipped due to his awesomeness.

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
No, "the dems" did not. This is just factually false. Please do not insert misinformation into this thread.

Review the history of the CRA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964

Here was the vote count:

Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7–93%)
Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0–100%)

The Senate version:
Southern Democrats: 1–20 (5–95%)

Southern DEMOCRATS are still DEMOCRATS. Thanks for playing.

EDIT: And from your link:

On the morning of June 10, 1964, Senator Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.) completed a filibustering address that he had begun 14 hours and 13 minutes earlier opposing the legislation. Until then, the measure had occupied the Senate for 57 working days, including six Saturdays. A day earlier, Democratic Whip Hubert Humphrey of Minnesota, the bill's manager, concluded he had the 67 votes required at that time to end the debate and end the filibuster. With six wavering senators providing a four-vote victory margin, the final tally stood at 71 to 29. Never in history had the Senate been able to muster enough votes to cut off a filibuster on a civil rights bill. And only once in the 37 years since 1927 had it agreed to cloture for any measure.[14]

Senator Byrd was a VERY POWERFUL DEMOCRAT.

Thanks for helping support my claim. I now return you to denying reality.