Are demographics changing the "solid south"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Intentional spreading of misinformation is a violation of forum rules. Stop doing it.

It's really weird that the head of the rnc would feel compelled to apologize for the gop's racist past if it never happened.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
It's really weird that the head of the rnc would feel compelled to apologize for the gop's racist past if it never happened.

Also, I if I'm spreading misinformation then feel free to report it. I suspect you won't because I sourced my assertions. Sorry again about your racist party.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
A racist past, which the DNC also has, it not indicative of a racist present. Therein is your lie. You know this. I will entertain your request and report your post since you want it done. Shows I am a team player. :)

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Yep, followed almost immediately by Repubs' switch to their "Southern Strategy" & southern white conservatives finding their message appealing...

Strom Thurmond led the defection from the Democratic party- you know, the guy with the longest filibuster on record, made against the Civil Rights Act...

Lyndon Johnson, who worked hard for passage, supposedly remarked that Dems had lost the South for a generation. He underestimated the virulence of southern conservative racism, however- it's been nearly 2 generations, and they're still staunch Repubs.

The party of Lincoln has fallen a very long way...

If I was black I'd expect it (they are told repubs are all old white racists) but most Dems try and come off like the party that could do no wrong in the civil rights department and that is not accurate. Not by a long shot. Now they pander and use that voting bloc with very little giving back to them.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
A racist past, which the DNC also has, it not indicative of a racist present. Therein is your lie. You know this. I will entertain your request and report your post since you want it done. Shows I am a team player. :)

Go ahead.

Either you get laughed at if the mod isn't a buffoon, or we'll see how far atpn moderation has really fallen.

Oh and the difference between the dnc and rnc is that the legacy of the dixiecrat is pretty much dead while the southern racist conservative gop lives on. Sorry for your racist party and your inability to rebut me with facts.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
You realize that
A whopping 40% of the House Democrats VOTED AGAINST the Civil Rights Act, while 80% of Republicans SUPPORTED it. Republican support in the Senate was even higher.

And you do realize, the majority of those Democrats opposing Civil Rights were "Southern" Democrats who later went on to be Republicans...

And the Republicans of that era aren't the same politically as today's Republicans? The GOP was quite moderate/liberal up until the late 1960s. The Tea Party & Fundies wouldnt have had an ounce of influence in those days. Goldwater(who as GOP Nominee for President was against the Civil Rights Act) was the turning point of the GOP becoming more conservative. It took more root when Nixon paid lip service to the movement to get votes. And went all out with Reagan.

Bottom line is Northern Republicans became Democrats and Southern Democrats became republicans. Politics had a cataclysmic shift in the 1960s.

Last edited:

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
And you do realize, the majority of those Democrats opposing Civil Rights were "Southern" Democrats who later went on to be Republicans...

He probably thinks they were birkenstock wearing hippies from Berkeley that voted against the cra.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Go ahead.

Either you get laughed at if the mod isn't a buffoon, or we'll see how far atpn moderation has really fallen.

:D If the mods disagree with you, they are baffoons. You really know how to dig yourself a hole.

Wow.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

I live in the most conservative district in the US. You are deluded if you don't think there is a quite sizable, voting block in the GOP that is horribly racist. GOP voters are much more likely to be racist than Democrat voters. By in large the racists are pretty loud and proud in my neck of the woods.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I live in the most conservative district in the US. You are deluded if you don't think there is a quite sizable voting block in the GOP that is horribly racist.

The GOP is the group of politicians, not the general populous.

You do know that there is a quite sizable voting block in the DNC that is horribly racist as well, don't you?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The GOP is the group of politicians, not the general populous.

You do know that there is a quite sizable voting block in the DNC that is horribly racist as well, don't you?

In my general experience the more conservative a region is. The more racist a region is. In my life I have NEVER heard a democrat/liberal call someone a n***** to someone in public. I can't count the times on two hands I have heard that from a conservative neanderthal.

And as someone who used to be a card carrying member of the GOP, the longer I have lived in this shithole and the more influence nut-job fundies/tea party'ers have gained inside the party the more liberal I have gotten. And my beliefs really haven't changed. The party has.

But yes, there are racists in the democratic party. A good chunk of them are Hispanic. The big difference is the Democrats don't play to the racists, where as by and large the Republicans do.

And BTW you don't know shit about US political history.

Last edited:

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
The GOP is not going to be able to compete on a national level until they come to grips with the fact that a significant voting block of their party must be marginalized.

They will never get the minority vote so long as the image of the GOP remains that of white conservative racists afraid of illegals taking all of their jobs.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
In my general experience the more conservative a region is. The more racist a region is. In my life I have NEVER heard a democrat/liberal call someone a n***** to someone in public. I can't count the times on two hands I have heard that from a conservative neanderthal.

That is not the only way to be racist. A many inner city blacks are highly racist and almost all of them vote democrat.

It still does not magically mean the general polution is the GOP or the DNC. The GOP and the DNC are the political parties, comprised of politicians.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The GOP is not going to be able to compete on a national level until they come to grips with the fact that a significant voting block of their party must be marginalized.

They will never get the minority vote so long as the image of the GOP remains that of white conservative racists afraid of illegals taking all of their jobs.

Unless minorities wake up and realize that decades of the DNC doing nothing at all for them is a bad thing...and they stop voting for people who only keep them down.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Unless minorities wake up and realize that decades of the DNC doing nothing at all for them is a bad thing...and they stop voting for people who only keep them down.

You really should give it up. You got majorly pwned and it's just embarrasing for you to keep it up in this thread.

Sometimes you just have to admit your wrong and move on.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Now now, don't blame me for your failure and incompetance. Aim your anger for yourself, since you are the incompentant one.

Being mad at others for your own failures is lame.

As for racist party, I thnk you forgot about Byrd.

LOL...troll fail. I mean really, posting obvious cut/pasted paragraphs from a website proving you wrong, but you insert your foot even futher into your mouth demanding links, then when they get provided, you claim he is a failure?

Irony gold!

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
HI! It is my stalker again. I see you still have failed to obtain psychological help for your intense desire for me.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005

*cough*

Former Florida GOP chairman claims GOP talked about using voter laws to suppress black voting.

*cough*

Oh, since you don't believe anything without a link apparently (funny, you lie all the time without posting links, double standard much?)

Link

To make it easy for you, since I know you don't like reading about things you don't like:

"I was upset because the political consultants and staff were talking about voter suppression and keeping blacks from voting. It had been one of those days,'' he said.

Granted, this guy is sleazy too, but this is a real GOP'er claiming this.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
You really should give it up. You got majorly pwned and it's just embarrasing for you to keep it up in this thread.

Sometimes you just have to admit your wrong and move on.

:D You have no room to talk about "pwnage". You implode in your threads on a routine basis. Although I do have to readily admit you are an expert at self-"pwnage". As an aside, when you grow up you will stop using the preteen word "pwn". You will start to be embarrassed you ever actually used it.

All that said, you actually think the DNC is not filled with racists? You actually think the DNC does not have a racist past? You actually think someone who votes democrat is the DNC? You actually think these fallacies are true?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
*cough*

Former Florida GOP chairman claims GOP talked about using voter laws to suppress black voting.

*cough*

Former is past. I thought you realized that, but I suppose I gave you too much credit. That said, you actually think the DNC is not filled with racists? You actually think the DNC does not have a racist past? You actually think someone who votes democrat is the DNC? You actually think these fallacies are true?

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Former is past. I thought you realized that, but I suppose I gave you too much credit. That said, you actually think the DNC is not filled with racists? You actually think the DNC does not have a racist past? You actually think someone who votes democrat is the DNC? You actually think these fallacies are true?

Wow, really, your ignorance and unwillingness to admit you are wrong is beyond belief.

Just what qualifies in that empty space between your ears as "current"? Yesterday? Today? LOL, what a troll. Sad how far you take cognitive dissonance to try to protect your ideas.

This guy was chairman up until only 2 years ago, and is talking about current events, not something from 20 years ago.....your ignorance and partisanship are once again showing troll.

And I will remind you that voter suppression is ongoing to this day, so that most certainly makes it "current".

So yet another epic fail troll attempt from our resident idiot troll.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
HI! It is my stalker again. I see you still have failed to obtain psychological help for your intense desire for me.

Gross. Pointing out blatant lies and trolling is stalking? Really?

Have you reported all of us that prove you wrong time and time again yet? Posting facts is somehow wrong in your mind? LOL.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Wow, really, your ignorance and unwillingness to admit you are wrong is beyond belief.

Wait...you are now arguing that former is current? :D Talk about silly!

Gross. Pointing out blatant lies and trolling is stalking? Really?

It is easy to show. You probably do not know this, but there is a nice little feature called "Find more posts by GarfieldTheCat". Look at the time period before I went to Tennessee (and stopped posting) and after I returned. Most of your posts are you following me around the forum. I would be flattered if you were not so creepy.

Do you really think it is not obvious to everyone how you follow me around the forum like a sad puppy? Pretending otherwise is like a fat kid pretending he does not want dessert...it just makes people look at you funny.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Wait...you are now arguing that former is current? :D Talk about silly!

Quoting for hilarity so all can see how low our troll will go to not admit he is 100% wrong. I think you might have some pathological mental issue.

You claimed:
A racist past, which the DNC also has, it not indicative of a racist present. Therein is your lie.

Once again, you have knowingly lied on this forum (not surprising). I proved you wrong with my post, about how a GOP insider in Florida claims (not proven yet) that voter suppression was done to "keep blacks from voting".

Another fact is that this effort to suppress voters continues to this very day, so it isn't in any way in the past or historical.

So once again, everyone can see our poor little troll get owned for refusing to admit his ignorance.

You really have gone downhill lately...all those obvious troll threads getting locked, all those temp bans you have been collecting, you are really losing your grip.