Are Democrats getting too cocky?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: AnnonUSA
Not one answer other than he is not McCain. From either side.

Think long and hard about what you are doing if you cannot answer the question. What makes the Guy you are going to vote for "better" than any one else? If you cannot give a definitive answer to that question, why would you vote for that person?
Oh sorry, I didn't realize this was your thread.

Haven't personally met him but by all accounts obama's a bright and serious person. He seems to genuinely care for others and will do battle with repugs. Some of his people look worthwhile also.

I don't support him because of democratic party affiliation but more that he isn't connected to the oppressive repug machine.

Don't really pay attention to campaign promises since few politicians follow through with them. Consider small gov't and fiscal responsibility promises from eight years ago. Most recent lobbyist count in d.c. was three times that of 2000.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
Originally posted by: nobodyknows

I think McCain is toast, but on the other hand I think the Dems just might lose control of the Senate. If they do then Techs question will be answered for him. ;)

That would be ideal but I dont see it happening. Short of bowing to Allah while taking a dump on the flag, Obama's got this one wrapped up. Just watch Pelosi's congress rubber stamp every ridiculous spending proposal that comes through.

I think Obama is level headed and has some good ideas, but you know what they say about absolute power.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: Slew Foot

I think McCain is toast, but on the other hand I think the Dems just might lose control of the Senate. If they do then Techs question will be answered for him. ;)

That would be ideal but I dont see it happening. Short of bowing to Allah while taking a dump on the flag, Obama's got this one wrapped up. Just watch Pelosi's congress rubber stamp every ridiculous spending proposal that comes through.

I think Obama is level headed and has some good ideas, but you know what they say about absolute power.

It doesn't exist?
:)

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Strip out the personal attacks and we are left the democrats have a good reason to be cocky, while Obama is certainly not acting too cocky as he easily fended off the McCain offensive. But the thing on this thread that also surprises me, is the lack of rebuttal regarding the democrats losing the Senate. There, I tend to differ. The way things like now, Obama will take POTUS, maybe not by a total landslide, but by a healthy margin. And its even possible, that the democrats may achieve a 60+ seat margin in the Senate. For the democrats to go below their current 51 Seat level is almost inconceivable. And even if Biden and Obama resign as Senators, both States have democratic Governors who will presumably appoint democratic replacements. The Tony Resco scandal may well take out the Illinois governor, but not before he can appoint Obama's replacement. Most of the contested Senate seats are Republican, and many of those have no incumbent running in 08. I look for a solid 56 or better Senate democratic seats at a minimum. And unless its like 60 seats or 61, Joe Lieberman is going to be odd man out with little remaining clout.

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Strip out the personal attacks and we are left the democrats have a good reason to be cocky, while Obama is certainly not acting too cocky as he easily fended off the McCain offensive.

It's been McCain fending off the McCain offensive.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Butterbean
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Strip out the personal attacks and we are left the democrats have a good reason to be cocky, while Obama is certainly not acting too cocky as he easily fended off the McCain offensive.

It's been McCain fending off the McCain offensive.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe Butterbean likes the Palin offensive better, the ole sound like a complete ignorant hick strategy. Them golly gees and you betcha(s) sound so intellectually elevating.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Gore beats Bush
Kerry beats Bush
Obama beats McCain.

Maybe the Dems will be right this time, but if any political party can be said to be gifted at snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory, it's Obama's party. Mind you I think Obama will win, however I'm not certain at all. Race will be a factor, and it's not calculable. When the fat lady sings, get back to me.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/
Here?s what Obama just said at a fundraiser this morning: ?For those of you who are feeling giddy or cocky and think this is all set, I just say one word. I guess it?s two words for you: New Hampshire. You know, I?ve been in these positions before where we were favored and the press starts getting carried away and we end up getting spanked. And so that?s another good lesson that Hillary Clinton taught me.?

AnnonUSA

Nov 18, 2007
We are being lied to. By both parties.

We are dog shit on the shoes of the politicians.

VOTE INDEPENDENT! Vote against incumbents. Vote for people that want to abolish the Federal Reserve System. The future of America Depends on it.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Not one answer other than he is not McCain. From either side.

Think long and hard about what you are doing if you cannot answer the question. What makes the Guy you are going to vote for "better" than any one else? If you cannot give a definitive answer to that question, why would you vote for that person?

He is not Bush.
Are you satisfied now? ;)

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
The Democrats are already starting to plan what they will do next year. Pelosi is even looking at calling congress back so they can get started post election.

You speak like that is a bad thing. :shiftyeyes:
Congress now finally doing some work?

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Please explain something specific about Obama's plans for America that would make you "rest easy".

Something more substantial than, he is not McCain.
If you're not convinced yet, you never will be.

In other words..... no.

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Sheik Yerbouti
I am not cocky at all, the last time I was cocky was dumbya v kerry, and this country elected that smacktard for a second term. I will not rest easy, nor will I doubt any other Obama voter, until he takes the oath of office. I've seen too much go too wrong with our voting system over the past 2 presidential elections. 2000 pretty much destroyed all trust I had in the voting process.

Nearly 3/4 of a million votes stand to be thrown out in Ohio before they even get a chance to be cast for Obama.

McCain wins Ohio easily

10-15-2008 Federal court: Ohio must check voter registrations

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A federal appeals court ordered Ohio's top elections official to set up a system by Friday to verify the eligibility of newly registered voters and make the information available to the state's 88 county election boards.

The full 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati on Tuesday upheld a lower court ruling that Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner must use other government records to check thousands of new voters for registration fraud.

About 666,000 Ohioans have registered to vote since January, with many doing so before the contested Democratic presidential primary election last March

This. After this I get a bad bad feeling about whats going to happen in the coming weeks.