Are Creative cards really that good for gaming?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I now have a weird dilemma as reflected in this thread: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2331810.
Are X-Fi Elite Pro and X-Fi Platinum still very good solutions today or would a simple "SB - Z" out-do it?

I used a X-Fi Titanium HD for a couple of years and quite enjoyed it, but the ZxR is definitely a better card. Also, the software for the zxr is more refined and better. Creative has provided windows 8/8.1 drivers for the X-fi line of cards, but they aren't updating the software to the newer features found with the Z. I think those features are well worth it - With the Z you'll have newer features like scout mode and SBX surround - which I feel are pretty awesome for gaming.

If the ZxR is too pricey for you, you could also opt for the basic Z card which is priced in line with the X-fi line. Creative has put gold nicheon caps on the plain SB Z card, and from what i've hard it's a great card for the money.

Last edited:

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
Thanks for the advice, blackened! It will certainly be taken into consideration.

I have read that not all basic Z cards feature those gold caps though. All Zx do, however.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Hello, I have a Xonar D1 card, howver I was thinking of selling it and buying a Creative Sound Blaster Z. Should I ? I've read in many articles that the Sound Blaster card really makes a difference in games. Plus it has EAX, which is useful to me. So is it worth it? Would be using it with 2.0 speakers "Edifier Studio 8".

Please let us know the difference between your Xonar D1 and the SB Z once you buy it - I'm curious.