Are Bose the only NC Headphones Worth Looking At?

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I have a big project coming up in Poland, so I will be doing lots of air travel over the next year. I would like to get a set of headphones to use, mainly to block out the engine noise of the plane. I have never looked into noise canceling headphones before. It seems in reviews like there are (a) Bose and (b) everyone else. Are the Bose really that much better making them worth the extreme price difference? Any other models I should be giving serious consideration to?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
in canal or over the ear? in canal would work better plus you can probably get away with non noise canceling.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I have in canal phones already, but they don't seem to block the engine drone noise all that well for some reason. It seems like that is always present.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I have in canal phones already, but they don't seem to block the engine drone noise all that well for some reason. It seems like that is always present.

That is because it is transfered through your body :p

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
I have tried noise cancelling headphones for air travel over the Pacific before. Headphones with plenty of padding that isolated you from the noise was better. In fact on my travel back, I ended up stuffing my ears with small bits of napkin then the NC headphones over it to quiet things further.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I have tried noise cancelling headphones for air travel over the Pacific before. Headphones with plenty of padding that isolated you from the noise was better. In fact on my travel back, I ended up stuffing my ears with small bits of napkin then the NC headphones over it to quiet things further.

Yeah, I'm sort of thinking maybe a decent pair of isolating headphones might be a better purchase. I don't really want to pay extra for a feature I won't be using 99% of the time.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
radians-deviator-fp80-uf-foam-ear-plugs-nrr-33-9.gif

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
I find that either my Sure SE530s and Westone 4s work great at blocking the noise. I do need to turn the volume up some, but the headphones themselves leave me with a little bit of a droning noise, and no crying babies. It comes down to what tips you use (don't use any of the silicone ones if you want noise isolation)...these ones work best for me.

172_std.png

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I guess I can use this first flight coming up as a test.

I got a really good deal on a pair of ATH M50x yesterday at Amazon, so I will see how a pair of "regular" isolating headphones work. I have been wanting a decent set of headphones to use at home since I got rid of my Momentums so hopefully these can serve the purpose for flights as well.

I might take my IEMs just to see how they fare as well.