Are Birkenstocks worth the money?

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002
I was browsing their site and I noticed that they run for like $100?!? I've never owned a pair but its hard for me to imagine a pair of sandals that could be worth $100. Are there any cheaper alternatives or are they simply worth the cost? I was looking at the Arizonas btw.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
No. I find them uncomfortable...and my last pair only lasted a little more than a year I think.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
No. But for a long time they were a requirement for being cool. So (a) you were cool and really didn't need the sandals but got them to prove it or (b) you were a poser who everyone saw trying to waste all of his/her money to buy his/her way into popularity.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
They're not worth $100, IMO. I got some on clearance last year for like $35. I like them, they're fairly comfortable once you break them in, but I don't wear sandals that often. My fiancee loves Birkenstocks, she thinks they're the most comfortable shoes around.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Depends on how much you pay. I bought two pairs while in Germany 7 years ago for $30 each. Extremely comfortable and still in great shape.

fw3308

Dec 12, 2003
Yes they are. In my case I need to wear them for a foot issue. It is either Birkenstocks or inserts. I chose Birkenstocks. Check out this site Text I just got a pair from there for half of the retail. If you have never worn them before you have to give yourself time to break them in. They begin to mold to your feet. Don't wear them for more than an hour a day for the first few days. They are odd looking but I wouldn't trade them. Great shoes IMO!

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
I think I am the only person that hates those fugly shoes.
As for the original question I am sure it's the name that boosts the costs and not the material or workmanship when comparing other brands that are comparable in quality.

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
paying $100 for sandals puts you well on your way to the broke, hippie lifestyle.

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
Originally posted by: PanzerIV
As for the original question I am sure it's the name that boosts the costs and not the material or workmanship when comparing other brands that are comparable in quality.

No. I hate them too. I find them very, very, very ugly and unflattering. But that's just my opinion and what people wear on their feet is their business, unless they're within smelling range.

Go for the leather, anyway. Good luck!

wake

Oct 9, 1999
Hell Yes, I love my birks wear them all summer long. But after 5 years they start to smell bad, going to get a new pair. $100 is a bargain for these, considering how comfortable they are!

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Ikonomi
Originally posted by: PanzerIV

No. I hate them too. I find them very, very, very ugly and unflattering. But that's just my opinion and what people wear on their feet is their business, unless they're within smelling range.

Go for the leather, anyway. Good luck!

Nice to see that I'm not the only one that thinks they look stupid and trendy.

Cheers!

pcmodem

Golden Member
Feb 6, 2001
Yo,
Don't know where u live, but I have seen Birkenstock outlets before. There's one I remember seeing over in Gilroy, CA.

TGIF,
PCM

TSDible

Golden Member
Nov 4, 1999
They are worth it here....

I'm living in Germany, and they can be had fairly cheap. Actually, we don't live too far from an outlet store. I prefer Joseph Seibels for comfort though.