Are Aluminum cases suppose to make the PC a bit cooler than non-Aluminum cases?

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
its possible for it to be a degree or two cooler but I wouldn't count on it. Its more for looks and weight.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
When you reach into the oven and grab aluminum foil, it's not hot. The heat passes right thru. If you reach into the oven and grab a steel cookie sheet, you'll soon be doing a little dance around the kitchen. It retains the heat.

However, the inside of your case doesn't get hot enough to make use of aluminum's ability to pass heat off so easily.

Blooz1

Jan 14, 2003
That's one of the computer versions of "Urban Legends"!!

By the time it gets hot enough inside a system for the aluminum to start making a difference in heat dissipation, the system would be fried!

huesmann

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: 1sikbITCH
When you reach into the oven and grab aluminum foil, it's not hot. The heat passes right thru. If you reach into the oven and grab a steel cookie sheet, you'll soon be doing a little dance around the kitchen. It retains the heat.

However, the inside of your case doesn't get hot enough to make use of aluminum's ability to pass heat off so easily.
That's because the foil is freakin THIN. And because it's thin it dissipates heat faster. You can't grab foil in an oven right away--you need to wait a few seconds to let the heat dissipate.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
No difference really. Most aluminum cases, at least from the likes of Lian Li and Coolermaster, have well designed ventilation paths, so they do cool better than say your average steel box, but that's not to say a steel Antec case doesn't hold its own very well. It's mostly design that cools well, aluminum for looks and weight savings. :)

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: huesmann
Originally posted by: 1sikbITCH

That's because the foil is freakin THIN. And because it's thin it dissipates heat faster. You can't grab foil in an oven right away--you need to wait a few seconds to let the heat dissipate.

Right, because my mother has an aluminum cookie sheet and when I wildly grabbed it from the oven I did a dance around the kitchen.

But aluminum is so much lighter and some of the best case designs I have seen are done with aluminum! (easier to work with too)

EeyoreX

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2002
There is no differance other than case weight. In order for aluminum to begin to affect system temperature, your system would be fried (as someone else mentioned). Or the case needs to be making contact with the heat sources. A heatsink only works when it is in direct contact with the CPU/GPU. Since the aluminum case is not in contact with anything it won't help with temps.

\Dan

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Originally posted by: EeyoreX

There is no differance other than case weight.

And noise. Steel cases are much better noise insulators than aluminum ones.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
Aluminum cases are just lighter... that's the only advantage I see. There is no real cooling difference; however, aluminum cases tend to be higher end. Higher end cases tend to have better planned cooling (see where this is going).