Are all VGA cables made equal?

nordloewelabs

Mar 18, 2005
i need to connect a PC to an Olevia 37" LCD HDTV using the VGA port. for that, i need to get a 10 feet cable, but i dont know if all VGA cables have the same capabilities.... can a VGA cable that supports "800x600" not support "1280x1024" or "1360x768"??? by the way, the latter is the resolution of the LCD HDTV in question.

i ask this question because, while shopping for VGA cables, i came across a cable denominated UXGA.... is there such a thing? i thought the resolution displayed on a monitor depended only on the capability of the monitor itself and the graphic card to which it was connected. :confused:

i wanna make sure i will not cripple the TV set by using an incorrect cable.... i could use S-VIDEO, but i've heard that S-VIDEO -- although better than COMPOSITE -- is inferior to VGA, HDMI, COMPONENT and anything else. btw, DVI is not an option here. :(

thanks in advance!

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
There's no such thing as a specific cable for a specific resolution. But anything analog has to deal with signal degradation, there is a difference between how well good and poor quality cables handle this, especially with long runs.

nordloewelabs

Mar 18, 2005
i got this one here.

according to the people at the AVS Forum, MonoPrice's cables are good. just to be in the safe side i chose one with more shielding. the extra audio wire will be useful to take the sound from my sound card to the TV set.