Are all those video card reviewers full of it?

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
As long as I can remember people have been putting unrealistic comments in video card reviews. Such as Newegg. If you go to any video card on newegg and look at the reviews, someone is going to say "I can run Crysis and Call of duty 4 at MAX settings with no problem". This kinda thing has been going on forever. Is it just a bunch of crap? I'm too curious so I had to ask :)

Anytime I buy a top-o the line video card and upgrade from something a few years old, I only get like 20 extra FPS if I'm lucky, and that's with little to no AA and AF. That's as expected. People seem to think video cards are some godly device that lets you play any brand new game at the highest resolution/detail settings. Not just people in reviews either, of course there's comments on forums and the like.

I finally have a top o the line computer now and still don't get the desired FPS in Counter Strike Source, a pretty old game. Though I did turn up all the settings to the max, except for resolution, but still, it's an older game. There would be no way I could run newer games like Crysis and CoD4 at MAX settings like most reviewers claim, probably not even near max with a top of the line computer.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: wankawitz
As long as I can remember people have been putting unrealistic comments in video card reviews. Such as Newegg. If you go to any video card on newegg and look at the reviews, someone is going to say "I can run Crysis and Call of duty 4 at MAX settings with no problem". This kinda thing has been going on forever. Is it just a bunch of crap? I'm too curious so I had to ask :)

Anytime I buy a top-o the line video card and upgrade from something a few years old, I only get like 20 extra FPS if I'm lucky, and that's with little to no AA and AF. That's as expected. People seem to think video cards are some godly device that lets you play any brand new game at the highest resolution/detail settings. Not just people in reviews either, of course there's comments on forums and the like.

I finally have a top o the line computer now and still don't get the desired FPS in Counter Strike Source, a pretty old game. Though I did turn up all the settings to the max, except for resolution, but still, it's an older game. There would be no way I could run newer games like Crysis and CoD4 at MAX settings like most reviewers claim, probably not even near max with a top of the line computer.

if your not getting desirable fps in Source then there is something severly wrong with your rig or you have a Super high resolution 22

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I doubt there's anything wrong...in the Source video stress test I average 243FPS.

It still dips below 60fps a lot in-game though. CS source can have to deal with a lot of different player models though (15+) at the same time. Running at 1280x1024 4:3 aspect ratio.

Still I'll be running a 3Dmark pretty soon, but I don't think the results are going to be out of the ordinary.

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
In Counter Strike Source at Max Settings 16xAA/16xAF 1920x1200 I get over 200 fps in the video stress test on my AMD 5200 @ 3.12GHz + GTX 260.

Pic

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: masteryoda34
In Counter Strike Source at Max Settings 16xAA/16xAF 1920x1200 I get over 200 fps in the video stress test on my AMD 5200 @ 3.12GHz + GTX 260.

Pic

In game seems to be totally different though. What fps do you get in CS:S?

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Well sometimes people have different perceptions, way back when I first got a HD 3870 for my Mac Pro I fired up Crysis at 1920x1200 with high settings (no AA/AF) and it was surprisingly playable, however running the benchmark showed an average of 20 fps which would be unacceptable for many people.

Just don't worry about it.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
No it's normal as I see the same thing. In the stress test I turn well into the 200's with my sli setup however in game my fps fluctuates depending where I'm at on the map, what is going on and how many players are present. You know when flashes, smoke and nades plus gunfire are all occuring simultaneously it puts a huge demand on the cards so your fps will drop accordingly.

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
Source is actually pretty heavily CPU dependent. I'm betting you're seeing FPS dips entirely because of your CPU; your GPU is way more than enough to keep you above 60FPS. OC that E7200 if you haven't already - they've got a lot of OCing headroom, even with the stock cooler.

emilyek

Mar 1, 2005
FPS in CS:S is all about the server, the number of players, the ping, choke, etc.

I lag as much in some places on some maps on certain servers in CS:S today as I did four years ago; my p4 2.4 an 9700pro got the same crappy frames as my current rig does in many situations.

You might get 300+FPS in the stress test with everything maxed; but, when the Source netcode comes calling, you will see numbers in the teens.

Oh, and E7200?

Overclock, please. :)

VERTIGGO

Apr 29, 2005
yeah your cpu and gpu are both far greater than the original Source engine. The only reason for you to have slowdowns in game is that your ping (or any one person on the server's) is to high. Are you running fresh windows/full updates/drivers?

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I dunno, but I played a bunch of CS today and didn't have any dips or anything, everything ran smooth. Maybe just needed to restart or something.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I dunno, but I played a bunch of CS today and didn't have any dips or anything, everything ran smooth. Maybe just needed to restart or something.

Dude......something is wrong with your rig. With a E6750 and a 9800GTX I would never see below 150fps at that rez. That game is a joke when it comes to taxing a GPU...

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

Dude......something is wrong with your rig. With a E6750 and a 9800GTX I would never see below 150fps at that rez. That game is a joke when it comes to taxing a GPU...

Do you play Crysis and CoD4 at 2840x1620 with everything at max settings and get 300 fps too? ;)

Well like I said it seemed fine when I played it last night, better than expected to be sure. Trying different resolutions made the game look pretty weird though, all skinny like.