Are 3D TVs Worth It?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
The main problem is that the content is so hard to get. Too many of the decent titles (HTTYD, Avatar) are tied to certain TV sets and the only way to build a decent library is to spend hundreds on ebay.

If you are a pirate, 3D is good to you because there is more Half SBS content available than 3D blu Ray content. I think a lot of that is 3D content ripped off Sky TV which I can't even get here in the states.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
I'm debating on buying a new television. In terms of the new 3D televisions out right now, I'm debating on whether I should take the leap or just stick with a standard LED television without 3D. What are your experiences? Is it worth it or is it something that's going to die out like HD DVD?

3d is gimmicky... buy it if 'you' like it...

I will say, plasma will give you a better experience with it. less flickering.

In general, I wouldn't consider a LED... cough.. LCD unless it were local dimming. even then plasma displays generally have a nicer, more natural, and accurate picture.

watzup_ken

Feb 11, 2011
Personal opinion, I think 3D TV is not going to get any useful at the moment. Firstly, you need the glasses to be on if you want the 3D effects to be good at the moment. Secondly, 3D TVs are very pricey, and so are the player and mediums. It may take off eventually, but I won't want to be the early adopter of this technology. A good HDTV is good enough for my usage now since I don't game much as well. :)

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Personal opinion, I think 3D TV is not going to get any useful at the moment. Firstly, you need the glasses to be on if you want the 3D effects to be good at the moment. Secondly, 3D TVs are very pricey, and so are the player and mediums. It may take off eventually, but I won't want to be the early adopter of this technology. A good HDTV is good enough for my usage now since I don't game much as well. :)

3D players are not pricey and neither are the discs. There's just not much 3D content to watch.

chaumi

Feb 27, 2011
www.3dtvguide.org
Lack of 3D content is often quoted as one of the reasons not to get involved with 3D TV at this stage...the other big ones being the issues surrounding 3D glasses and health/eyesight worries. Pricing too, I guess.

It's early to tell if the health worries are realistic, that's going to become apparent (or not) over time.

3D content availability is growing all the time - two new 3D TV channels gone live in recent weeks - Xfinity and 3net. Blu Rays dropping in price, and plenty of 3D DVD/Blu Ray titles already available, or will be when some of the current movies finish their cinema runs. Pretty much every day sees some news of future 3D movies.

3D glasses is a game, yes. Probably will be some time before we see 3D TV without glasses models on the shelves (well at an affordable price and of sufficient quality anyway). Will be interesting to see whether the current focus on passive (cheaper) glasses models from some of the manufacturers wins out over active LCD shutter glasses technology.

Personally I have no problem with wearing glasses, though of course the cost of buying extra pairs if you have a 3D TV and want to share with friends and family is a bit painful.

Pricing not so much of a big issue as it was for the earlier 3D TVs. Prices dropping, and there are some great models that are making it onto the best 3D TV lists which are affordable when compared to HD sets. Arguably not far off a time when all new models will be 3D capable (and internet connected)...and it'll all be taken for granted.

http://www.3dtvguide.org