Are 3D TVs Worth It?

puffywulf

May 28, 2009
www.pimfg.com
I'm debating on buying a new television. In terms of the new 3D televisions out right now, I'm debating on whether I should take the leap or just stick with a standard LED television without 3D. What are your experiences? Is it worth it or is it something that's going to die out like HD DVD?

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
maybe when the technology matures, but I dont want to put on bulky glasses just to watch tv

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
That's up to you. If you want 3D then get it. If you don't care about it then don't get it. Some people like it and some people don't. No one knows if something is going to die out. No one knew HD-DVD was going to lose.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I have the Sony 3d tv.

The regular picture is amazing and the 3d is good too. But there is so little 3d content at this point that is it hard to say if it is worth it.

At this point I wish I had saved my $2400 (tv+ps3+3d kit) and bought a nice projector for my upstairs theater instead.

BTW think about it long term. Why buy a none 3d tv now and upgrade later? Just get the 3d one now and enjoy it. Especially when you figure that you will by watching this tv for the next 3-5 years etc.

The other option is to just wait a while longer before getting the TV.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
The best 2D TV's are also 3D TV's, so there's really no point in ruling out a 3D TV because that's going to also rule out the best 2D TV's.

That said, OLED is coming...plant that can do 65" screen will be built in 2H 2011, maybe large screen product in very late 2012 or 2013. Now, when affordable (to the family that makes say $60k combined a year) OLED TV's will be coming, that's likely out in the 2015-2016 timeframe.

This all sounds so far away, until you consider that "affordable" OLED is anywhere from around 4.5 years to 7 years away: That's not that long.

Basically, unless you absolutely need "the best" and/or really have cash to burn, just get something that is going to hold you for the next 5 years or so.

Even the 2011 TV's are still not going to have all the issues corrected with each brand. We'll be lucky in 2012 if there's a top TV that can finally match the 500M/600M Kuro's for black levels, and luckier still if it can match those during the day (instead of a dark @ss room).

Anyone with a halfway decent TV right now would wait until the 2012 models came out, and buy that top set. Then wait the 4-5 years from then, save up, and finally buy an OLED display when they're out.

Chuck

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
glasses are a pain, and just how many things do you really watchh in 3d.

the proprietary nature of the glasses also makes investment in many pairs questionable.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Supposedly its especially worthwhile for sports and video game fans rather then just the occasional movie. Video games are created in 3D to begin with and need just a bit of optimization to take advantage of the technology. As a result there is a huge push in the video game industry for 3D everything right now. For more information I recommend:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
3dvision from nvidia will be the best use of 3D when it works.

CGI = 3D that works.

but yeah active shutters = kills brian cells

passive shutter tech requires 2x resolution and 2x brightness which sucks (2011 tech).

so we're not there yet. so yeah 3D sucks at the moment for most everyone

jjmIII

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
3D won't catch on IMO. This isn't the first try even.

I'd get a TV with web apps. That sounds cooler to me!

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
i have an htpc and the webapps are pretty lame in comparison.

put xbmc on a tv with some sort of win7 media center like recording using the qam tuner(s)/cablecards - now we're talking about saving space.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
After playing 3D Black Ops on my 360 for a few hours yesterday I have to say that gaming is one place that really benefits. Actually looking down a scope is awesome!

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I have one and hardly ever use it. There's not enough 3d content out there, and what is out there is really expensive.

Peppered

Jul 3, 2009
They are supose to be comiong out with Units that dont require you to wear any glasses.
I am sure these will cast a lot, but I cant seem to figure how these will work.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
The 3D feature is just another option on your new TV so it's irrelevant even if the standard dies out in the near future, it doesn't effect the 2D experience.

My only experience with a 3D TV was at the Sony store and it was like night and day after putting on the glasses. Alice in Wonderland looked superb in 3D.

If you like the 3D experience and don't mind the glasses, go for it. It won't take anything away from the 2D experience.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
yes it affects the 2D experience. the phosphor on plasma is faster. this reduces ghosting AND brightness

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I have one, haven't put it in 3d mode yet. Thing is that right now for most of the big brands, the 3d models are also the best for 2d viewing and if you catch one on sale it can be just a few hundred $ difference.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
We've had 3D for how long now? We've been able to go to the theaters and watch 3D movies for quite some time now. If it was so great, don't you think that every movie would have it? They don't. Why not? Because it's crap. It's just another stupid marketing ploy to get people who have to have the newest tech to buy some TV that's more expensive than the rest just so they can say that they have 3D. It's not even realistic looking. I'm not buying into any 3D crap until we get holograms.

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
We've had 3D for how long now? We've been able to go to the theaters and watch 3D movies for quite some time now. If it was so great, don't you think that every movie would have it? They don't. Why not? Because it's crap. It's just another stupid marketing ploy to get people who have to have the newest tech to buy some TV that's more expensive than the rest just so they can say that they have 3D. It's not even realistic looking. I'm not buying into any 3D crap until we get holograms.

That is exactly why I bought my 3d tv. I've only watched the 3d blu-ray that came with it. :oops:

sleep

Aug 23, 2010
It's all personal preference. This one guy told me it was awesome for a while then later on he really didn't care.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
The 3D feature is just another option on your new TV so it's irrelevant even if the standard dies out in the near future, it doesn't effect the 2D experience.

My only experience with a 3D TV was at the Sony store and it was like night and day after putting on the glasses. Alice in Wonderland looked superb in 3D.

If you like the 3D experience and don't mind the glasses, go for it. It won't take anything away from the 2D experience.

I saw Alice in Wonderland in the theaters in 3D and it sucked, especially since it wasn't shot in 3D but was converted to 3D after the movie was made. there is not one 3D movie that has made me think that 3D is awesome. Avatar has been the best but there's just many things that 3D messes with the image, I hate it.