Are 100,000 deaths a 'very good job'?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Are 100,000 deaths a 'very good job'?

• No.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Dear GOD no!

Votes: 26 55.3%
  • Yes.

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • ... but her e-mails....

Votes: 12 25.5%

• Total voters

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You'd have to have your head buried under an MSNBC-sized rock to not know that our country was taking measures in January and what those measures were.

I am floored that question was even asked.

I'll let you google for yourself.
No. You answer the question so we both know talking about the same thing. Don't leave it open for interpretation.

Jul 9, 2009
No, they aren't. Especially since 12,000 deaths (2009 H1N1) were deemed as something Obama should be locked up over.

Just to put it in perspective;
-100,000 COVID19 deaths V. 12,000 H1N1 deaths; 733% worse
-200,000 COVID19 deaths V. 12,000 H1N1 deaths; 1,566% worse

So, at his best, Trump is doing a 733% worse job than Obama with this pandemic.

Doesn't sound like a 'very good job' at all.

Sad!
Put it in perspective.

• "A recent Johns Hopkins study claims more than 250,000 people in the U.S. die every year from medical errors. Other reports claim the numbers to be as high as 440,000.
  • Medical errors are the third-leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer."
EVERY FVCKING YEAR

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
You'd have to have your head buried under an MSNBC-sized rock to not know that our country was taking measures in January and what those measures were.

I am floored that question was even asked.

I'll let you google for yourself.

HELLO TROLL!
WELCOME TO ANANDTECH!

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
No. You answer the question so we both know talking about the same thing. Don't leave it open for interpretation.
The claim is that the US did nothing until the 2nd week of March which is objectively false. The US government began national actions in January. Denying it is mind-boggling. Anyone saying we didn't act until mid March is willfully ignorant, likely driven by partisan politics.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The claim is that the US did nothing until the 2nd week of March which is objectively false. The US government began national actions in January. Denying it is mind-boggling. Anyone saying we didn't act until mid March is willfully ignorant, likely driven by partisan politics.
I'll ask it one last time. Absent an answer you are just an official troll. What was the significant action Trump took in Jan? If you are so sure it should be no problem to just say it.

I never said "nothing" I said "no significant action"

I already know what he did or didn't do. You need to state for the forum what you know he did.

Reactions: pmv

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Put it in perspective.

• "A recent Johns Hopkins study claims more than 250,000 people in the U.S. die every year from medical errors. Other reports claim the numbers to be as high as 440,000.
  • Medical errors are the third-leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer."
EVERY FVCKING YEAR

So what? That doesn't overwhelm our medical resources with an exploding number of cases. Once that happens the death toll necessarily goes up, which is what we're already seeing. Who cares, anyway? It's a hoax. Trump said so himself. Well, until he didn't. And now we get the revisionist history that he knew it would become a pandemic before anybody else.

According to Dr Birx, we might limit it to 200,000 deaths *if we do things almost perfectly*. We obviously won't, not with Trump in charge. It's a fairy tale.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
you're doin' a helluva job Trumpie
Johns-Hopkins1.jpg

Jul 9, 2009

"Martial law is the imposition of direct military control of normal civilian functions by a government, especially in response to a temporary emergency such as invasion or major disaster, or in an occupied territory.[1][2]

Martial law can be used by governments to enforce their rule over the public, as seen in multiple countries listed below. Such incidents may occur after a coup d'état (Thailand in 2006 and 2014); when threatened by popular protest (China, Tiananmen Square protests of 1989, 2009's Iranian Green Movement that led to the takeover by Revolutionary Guards); to suppress political opposition (martial law in Poland in 1981); or to stabilize insurrections or perceived insurrections (Canada, the October Crisis of 1970). Martial law may be declared in cases of major natural disasters; however, most countries use a different legal construct, such as a state of emergency.

Martial law has also been imposed during conflicts, and in cases of occupations, where the absence of any other civil government provides for an unstable population. Examples of this form of military rule include post World War II reconstruction in Germany and Japan, the recovery and reconstruction of the former Confederate States of America during Reconstruction Era in the United States of America following the American Civil War, and German occupation of northern France between 1871 and 1873 after the Treaty of Frankfurt ended the Franco-Prussian War." ....................................

Personal commentary needed.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Don't worry guys! Help is on the way! Trump had allowed the navy to use its ships to deliver 200,000 masks to new York...

where they will be distributed to the private sector to be sold to the public sector!

Fucking brilliant!!!

Good job indeed!

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Significant action would not have stopped the spread. China cracked open the Wuhan economy and the virus popped up again. At some point we have to recognize this is a global pandemic, and our best hope is mitigation until a vaccine is found, but shutting down the globe indefinitely is naive.

No. This is a global pandemic. There is going to be a high body count.
south korea seems to argue otherwise.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Don't worry guys! Help is on the way! Trump had allowed the navy to use its ships to deliver 200,000 masks to new York...

where they will be distributed to the private sector to be sold to the public sector!

Fucking brilliant!!!

Good job indeed!
@Starbuck1975 will think it's a very good job

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
you're doin' a helluva job Trumpie
Johns-Hopkins1.jpg
To be fair, the absolute number of cases should be normalized by the population of the country. Now granted, it looks like we are not "flattening the curve" like other countries managed to do, but it remains to be seen how high our curve goes. If it flattens out, then the numbers are not so bad. For instance at the peak Spain looks like about 7,500 cases out of a population of 47 million, or 0.016% of the population. For the US, 20,000 out of 330 million is is 0.006% of the population. So it depends on how much higher the curve goes for the US.

Edit: the results would also be skewed by the % of the population tested. I have no idea what that was for other countries, but it is probably much higher than so far in the US, which would of course, make the US numbers low in comparison.

Last edited:

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
what, exactly, was done? please be specific.

you keep saying stuff was done but don't provide any proof. statements like that are taken with a grain of salt here. provide proof of your statement or you will be dismissed outright.

what you said will not be taken seriously and rightly so.

Last edited:

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
It's all contextual. Trump hasn't done a good job but the CDC is predicting more, maybe whole lot more deaths. Is it good that people are dying? Only an idiot would think that's what 100k keeling over is.

Trump thinks that it'd be a very good job well done if 100k people die.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
it's a silly thing to argue over. train engineers have been called that since train have been around, you ain't going to change that now.

Well. You say that... and normally I'd agree

But in countries where an engineer is a protected title, actual engineers (as opposed to train driver "engineers") do see tangible benefits in terms of insurance costs etc.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Trump thinks that it'd be a very good job well done if 100k people die.

I thought it was good that we limited H1N1 to the number of fatalities we had but Trump didn't think that was a very good job well done and you must logically agree with Trump on that.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Nobody is suggesting it would not have gotten here at all. I'm sure China is guilty of hiding facts even though Trump said they did a good job. South Korea got their first case the same day as us. You may want to drop your water carrying when we get the per capita death totals in a few months. Their decisive action helped flatten their curve.

BTW - We know what you consider a good job, at least under Trump. What would you consider a bad job?

I'll give you examples of what I consider a good job.

Not dismantling the pandemic response team
No eliminating the CDC infectious disease expert already embedded in Beijing China months before the pandemic began.
Talking control of the purchasing and distribution of medical supplies and PPE
Not sending mixed messages to the public on the danger or this virus
Passing and implementing the DPA back in Feb
Not allowing US citizens who returned from China to roam free in the US without quarantining while at the same time stopping Chinese nationals during the travel restrictions back in late Jan.
Not trashing medical workers accusing them of stealing supplies. They are putting their own lives in jeopardy trying to save others
Having enough test kits so we could identify early hot spots.
Being honest with the public.
There are many more examples

The body count is not the sole metric but the body count along with the lack of action, bad actions, along with the relative successes in other countries show Trump to be an utter failure.

I had no idea you no longer considered the United States the greatest country in the world. Now if you lower us to #73, then Trump's performance is acceptable.

P.S. Wow this guy just read my mind. Doctor gives Fox News lemmings brainwashed by Trump a dose of reality. Yes early actions would have pushed down our numbers. That would have been doing a "GOOD JOB"
Were mistakes made? Absolutely.

In the end, none of those things are going to matter. China loosened its restrictions for a moment, and cases started to emerge again. A loosening of restrictions in China are still more draconian than anything being done in the western world. Japan is facing the same.

The best we can do is a delaying action while the woefully lacking medical infrastructure catches up.

America will lead as it has in the past. I am encouraged when I see our best and brightest minds coming up with innovative solutions to build respirators or groups of Americans working to fabricate masks out of cloth and fabric. When I go the grocery store, I see people settling into a disciplines routine to mitigate spread as best they can.

Unless we get the entire planet to strictly quarantine for three or four weeks, this thing is going to keep bouncing around until a vaccine is found or hopefully herd immunity.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

I'll ask it one last time. Absent an answer you are just an official troll. What was the significant action Trump took in Jan? If you are so sure it should be no problem to just say it.

I never said "nothing" I said "no significant action"

I already know what he did or didn't do. You need to state for the forum what you know he did.
Everyone please take notes. This is the MO of a Trump troll/bot. They make declarative statements without being able to back them up. Soon as you press them on any detail they either return to the rhetoric or they run away. The more vague then better for them

Ever notice when pressed for any detail Trump gives you vague generalities or answers yes/no at the same time leaving the real answer up for interpretation. That gives him the ability to deny anything later.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I have a question for anyone who wants to answer.

If the US exceeds every country on Earth combined in deaths would that still be considered a "good job"??