Arctic Silver Thermal Compound or Arctic Alumina Thermal Compound?

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
HI. I need to mount Zalman ZM-NB47J heatsink onto my northbridge and I was wondering which is the better compound to use performance wise?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
If we're comparing AS and AA adhesives, I'm not sure. I don't know if they still use the Arctic Silver I formulation for the AS adhesive. If so, AA is a little bit better than ASI.

I usually make my own adhesive - AS2, 3, or whatever I can find, in the middle of the chip, and a few dabs of regular epoxy around the corners. This provides adequate adhesion, while still giving you at least some chance of removing the heatsink later, without ripping the chip off the board with it.
This lets the thermal compound work best, uninhibited by epoxy.

Does this Zalman heatsink have clips for the motherboard? If so, you don't even need adhesive - just plain old Arctic Silver 5.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
The heatsink can only be mounted on motherboards that have holes and mine doesn't. That is why I need a thermal adhesive.

But Arctic Alumina is about $6 and AS adhesive is $9. Also AA is non-conductive, making it safer. I just need to see if the AS adhesive performs better because otherwise it just makes more sense to get AA.

Unfortunately I do not have any thermal compound, so i cannot just purchase epoxy alone and mix it with that.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
You shouldn't see more than 1-2c temp difference between them and I would get the AA because it is less expensive and as you alluded to isn't conductive or capacitive.

AWhackWhiteBoy

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2004
even cheaper, works great too depending on the surface. i personally used it to epoxy a sanded down(a rough surface will make the epoxy hold much better,you should do so) huge P1 heatsink to my FX5200 graphics card. did wonders :)

Davegod

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2001
just go with the alumina adhesive. there probably isnt even going to be 1c difference.

newParadigm

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2003
I got the AS Threamal Adhesive, it works great, cant say anything 'bout ARtic Alumina though