Arctic Silver on P4? Shop says it's bad?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: 4x4expy
I wonder if these guys know the proper method of applying AS3. If not, they may have gotten the results they spoke of. If they build computers on a daily basis, maybe they're a bit too proud to read instructions for a simple tube of thermal paste.

Maybe they are using the entire tube of it on one processor, which then gets all over the PC and causes crashes or short circuits, so they assume it's bad?

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Arctic Silver is also easier to clean off and reapply than PCM... that's one of the main reasons I use it... I upgrade CPU's at least every 6 months... a lot of people do it more often... scraping off PCM, and using Goo Gone and all that stuff is a pain... AS just takes a couple swipes with a q-tip soaked in alcohol.

ChampionAtTufshop

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2002
Originally posted by: gramboh
HAHAHA Techtronics, that is hilarious, an employee actually said those things? Believe it or not this is Memory Express. They are using the AS3 now, the issue wasn't ever performance, the guy just said that because he knew about the warranty issue. Once I explained to him that I was also aware of this he said it's fine as long as I understand that if I have to warranty the chip I will have to clean it very well so Intel can't see what was going on. The strange thing is since I am using a non-retail heatsink, that would probably void it anyway (not to mention overclocking). To me, a CPU decreases in value so quickly that the warranty is irrelevant, unless the chip is DOA or dies within a few months (never heard of this happening unless it was due to overheating or core cracking).

lol yeha
stuipd techtronics guy
i dunno if he's still there or not
but its quite obvious he knows next to nuthin..

anyways, memory express is pretty good