arctic silver II on an old AMD K6-2 500?

AG73

Jan 2, 2001
I have a bunch of Arctic Silver II lying around (99% of the tube is unused, as I used it just for a single 1ghz athlon). I have an older machine with an amd k6-2 500mhz which is running fine, but I am wondering if I can use this ASII on my old K6? I understand that there is a thinner formulation designed for older chips and that my k6 cpu plate is shaped differently than my athlon, but I don't feel like shelling out the dough for another tube of AS...if I can use my ASII on my old CPU I will, but can I ?

thanks
AG

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
sure you can, it will work just the same. its just kinda hard to get it spread out nice and even compared to the thin stuff thats made for lage surface areas.

AG73

Jan 2, 2001
thanks, snowman. the arctic silver guys emailed me and told me the same thing. But, I opened up my case and was having trouble removing the HSF and so I decided to leave well enough alone. The system is humming along smoothly and not overheating at all. Besides, I'm using my k6-2 500 (not overclocked) just for email and basic stuff anyway. All my hardcore stuff is being done by my 1ghz T-bird!

thanks
AG