Arctic Silver 5 Break-In Period

rosi

Dec 1, 2007
What do you guys make of the break-in period? Before leaving your computer on 24/7, do you observe the following?

Break-In Period

Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5
conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to
achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink
to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in
a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the
heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the
CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over
this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the
computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the
interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is
complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Why do you leave your PC on 24/7 ? Don't you let it hibernate when you sleep or is it a crunching box of some sort ? I haven't personaly kept track of my temps, during the first 200 hours, so I couldn't say for sure. Other people have though, and it's said to be true.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I haven't noticed any real difference in terms of temps from AS break-in. Then again, I rarely turn my systems off.

rosi

Dec 1, 2007
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
Why do you leave your PC on 24/7 ? Don't you let it hibernate when you sleep or is it a crunching box of some sort ? I haven't personaly kept track of my temps, during the first 200 hours, so I couldn't say for sure. Other people have though, and it's said to be true.

Although it is my main computer, it also serves as a file server to other computers on the network.

covert24

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
I haven't noticed any real difference in terms of temps from AS break-in. Then again, I rarely turn my systems off.

same here. i crunch mos of the day now , now that i have bionic running. my temps dont really change much as it is tho.

UTFan81

Jan 22, 2008
I never even noticed any difference in temps when going from regular paste to AS5. With my latest cpu I just used what came on the Arctic Cooler.

imported_wired247

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2008
I don't believe I've ever explicitly obseved the AS breakin, as it usually runs its course if you do shut down from time to time.

It certainly couldn't hurt.

If you are experiencing good temps and stable CPU usage, it seems unimportant to worry about it. However, I have been wrong before so I wouldn't throw their instructions out the window just yet.

Amaroque

Platinum Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: covert24
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry

same here. i crunch mos of the day now , now that i have bionic running. my temps dont really change much as it is tho.

No real difference here. But, I don't turn my systems off either! ;)