Arctic Silver 3 conductive?

Nats

May 20, 2001
I have a Inno3d geforce3 ti200 oc @ 240/475. Living here in the Philippines
already makes up for a high ambient temp. I was thinking of putting
Arctic Silver 3 on my on the vid cards heatsink. I've read somewhere although I can't
remember that putting Arctic Silver 3 shorted a card because it was conductive.
Can you guys confirm this? Thanks.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
AS3 is conductive, but if you just put it on the core, it won't short the card..
i have AS2(also conductive) on my geforce3, no problems...

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
they are? that's odd both as 2 and as3 i have are NOT conductive..

I found out when i was looking for materials to connect bridges on my xp ,and they are NOT, tested with multimeter..

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
from arcticsilver.com
Negligible electrical conductivity.
Arctic Silver 3 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity. It is only electrically conductive in a thin layer under extreme compression.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 3 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. The compound is slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridged two close-proximity electrical paths.)

Richardito

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2001
AS can be conductive and it has fried video cards. This is a fact, no matter how some people here complain about the truthfulness of the statement. It is unlikely, but still a possibility. Remember that silver (conductive) in the vehicle (non-conductive) can arrange themselves in a way to conduct electricity. When sufficient current is used it will 'move' from silver particle to silver particle until it shorts out the electronic device. That's the reason it's called 'capacitive'.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
To put it in terms people can understand... don't be a moron, just put it on the core like the instructions tell you to...

Honestly though... what kinda idiot would spread this paste that contains silver all over their CPU? even over electrical contacts?????? Not referring to anyone here... but I've seen pictures where the whole CPU was covered.

Wind

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2001
Originally posted by: pillage2001
You might want to use AS2 as AS3 can dry up after a long time of use.

I thought it's the other way round. The new AS3 is more oily & w/o any silicone compound. It should last longer. Any additional info on this ?

pillage2001

Lifer
Sep 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Wind

I thought it's the other way round. The new AS3 is more oily & w/o any silicone compound. It should last longer. Any additional info on this ?

I'm just saying based on experience. With AS3, I needed to remove the hsf and reapply it once a month or so but AS2 last quite a long time.

Wind

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Wind

I'm just saying based on experience. With AS3, I needed to remove the hsf and reapply it once a month or so but AS2 last quite a long time.

I c.
:D

Nats

May 20, 2001
Thanx for all the info. I took the risk and used
as3 so far it's ok. Just need a sensor to find out
what temp the core is running at.

MatthewF01

Mar 1, 2002
I have a few packets of Antec Thermal Compound, i guess its just silicone based, not sure it contains any silver (although i think they make one with silver now, but thats not this one). Can I use this stuff as gap-filler in unlocking an Athlon XP?

Richardito

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: MatthewF01
I have a few packets of Antec Thermal Compound, i guess its just silicone based, not sure it contains any silver (although i think they make one with silver now, but thats not this one). Can I use this stuff as gap-filler in unlocking an Athlon XP?

No, use crazy glue. That stuff will flow and ruin your unlocking job.

MrHans

Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Richardito
AS can be conductive and it has fried video cards. This is a fact, no matter how some people here complain about the truthfulness of the statement. It is unlikely, but still a possibility. Remember that silver (conductive) in the vehicle (non-conductive) can arrange themselves in a way to conduct electricity. When sufficient current is used it will 'move' from silver particle to silver particle until it shorts out the electronic device. That's the reason it's called 'capacitive'.

Ding, you hit the nail on the head. :)
I made the change over to
Arctic Alumina because it does not have capacitive or conductive behaviour. Much much easier to clean up too.