Arctic Silver 2/3 Q's + P4 1.6A NW Q's

augiem

Dec 20, 1999
Hi,

I have a few questions for you all out there running overclocked 1.6A northwoods.

1. Everyone is saying they're getting 2.2 and 2.4GHz oc's on the northwoods using stock HSF. My question is, did you use the crummy pad that came with the P4 or did you scrape it off and put Arctic Silver on it?

2. Does scraping the pad off and replacing it with Arctic Silver II/III void the warranty? (Nevermind that OCing it does the same thing ;) )

(General Arctic Silver questions)

3. What is this I hear about having to change the thermal compound every few months?! I've never heard this before and I see nothing on AS's website about having to do this. (This is especially disturbing with Athlon cores -- don't you just love that 'crack' sound?)

4. I heard someone mention Arctic Silver 2 drying out. I assume it would lose its effectiveness when it's dried out? So just how long does it take for this to happen?

5. Arctic Silver II, Arctic Silver III, or Arctic Alumina -- I already have some AS2, but I want the safest and longest lasting possible (I don't want to have to change it). Arctic Alumina says it's completely non conductive which I like, but do you still have to change it?

Thanks!

jm0ris0n

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2000
AFAIK AS I had a problem with the compound separating after 3'ish months of intense use. ASII (again afaik) has cleared up this problem. And I just found out AS III existed today :eek: , so I sure don't know anything about that :)

KenAF

Jan 6, 2002
aug,

Most people are just using the thermal pad...see how high you can get with the thermal pad...many can hit 2.55 to 2.65GHz on the 1.6A just as it comes out of the box. If you can only reach 2.4GHz stable, and want to try for more...feel free to scrape off the junk and put some AS3 in its place.

And no, Artic Silver is supposed to dry out somewhat...in doing so it forms a bond. You should not need to replace it...by the time you might need to replace it, you'll have upgraded to a 4.0GHz cpu.

augiem

Dec 20, 1999
Hi,

First I just want to say thanks KenAF! :) You've been very helpful answering so many of my questions. Thanks again for taking the time! (I wish more of the internet community would help each other out instead of constantly throwing flames and hate around at every corner.)

>> Most people are just using the thermal pad...see how high you can get with the thermal pad...many can hit 2.55 to 2.65GHz on the
>> 1.6A just as it comes out of the box. If you can only reach 2.4GHz stable, and want to try for more...feel free to scrape off the junk and
>> put some AS3 in its place.

Hmm... I thought about this, but then I remember that if you run the processor with the parafin pad the wax will seep into the tiny gaps in the heatsink and prevent heatsink compound from doing its job. Apparently the only way to get rid of the wax is to lap the heatsink.

>> And no, Artic Silver is supposed to dry out somewhat...in doing so it forms a bond. You should not need to replace it...by the time you
>> might need to replace it, you'll have upgraded to a 4.0GHz cpu.

Ok. I guess I worry too much. :) I'll just use the tube of AS2 I have.

Augie